Fishing with a Buick

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Fishing with a Buick

Post by Aucilla »

Here is a link to a story I read this morning, in the Apalachee Tortoise. I think many or most of you will enjoy it, as I did. :D It is called, "Fishing with a Buick."

Here is the third line in the article, just to whet your appetite:

"The Pass, as the community was called locally, was the avenue the fishermen used to gain access to the Gulf of Mexico from the calm waters of the bay and the corridor by which large schools of fish would enter the bay. Along with the schools came sharks -- lots of them. I was seven years old [1951] when I was first introduced to shark fishing; I had seen a few caught in nets and a few small ones caught by line, but I dreamed of catching a big one."

I am curious if any of you know the author, Kermit Brown.

http://tallahassee.indymedia.org/newswi ... /index.php[/i]
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Hey Aucilla,
Great story! Thanks for the headsup. In fact, I know Kermit well. He is an accomplished outdoorsman and craftsman. We served as Boy Scout leaders together for several years in Tallahassee. He occasionally works and helps out at the Trail and Ski shop on Capital Circle NE. You might be able to find him there if you call ahead, or just drop by.
Dick
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Great read. Thanks :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Excellent Story :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

NOW THAT'S WHEN A BUMPER WAS A BUMPER!! :thumbup: :-D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

What a great read, thanks for posting it. :thumbup: :thumbup:
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

GREAT STORY!

Thanks so much for sharing!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Thanks for the link, Aucilla. It's refreshing to read tales from when boys got outside and did boy stuff. I'm old enough to remember life around our neighborhood before television. We spent most of our time outside playing baseball, romping through the woods, ................ just being boys.
What was I supposed to do today?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Yep, and the most depressing part is remembering when our parents didn't have to worry what sicko was gonna grab us if we went down the street ta play :-? :beer:
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

I am glad you liked the story. I am sure it was a true story, but it is so subtly powerful in that way, so nostalgic, that it would be a great one by somebody like Mark Twain or Ernest Hemmingway, though I confess to ignorance of their styles.

We all have this in common, us guys, for the most part.; a nostalgia for those days with nature, and innocent risk taking for the sake of adventure. And we look back and say, "I don't believe I did THAT!"