New tricks for an old Texan

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mudshark

New tricks for an old Texan

Post by mudshark »

Howdy - after many years fishing the bays and nearshore along the upper Texas coast, I now find myself in Tallahassee (but I think I want to live in Wakulla County, it's the salt water in my blood). As with my work, I'm finding that many things fishing-related are the same, but also much is different - plenty to learn! I'm in the market for a boat, and am hoping that I can get some opinions as to the best types to fish inshore in the Wakulla area. Considering the water depths, or lack of it, seems like skiffs might work best, but I wouldn't rule out the possibiity of wanting to trailer to some deeper water every now and then...

Look forward to meeting some of you, and thanks for your tips.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Welcome aboard Mudshark.....Sounds like a bay boat might suit you..no one boat can do it all....Alot of variables to decide from, what kind of fishing you want to do, if you like creek fishing or running offshore and the price is always a deciding factor...

We are having a get together in Sopchoppy on Feb. 26 come on down, we would be glad to have you and your family there....Here is a link for the get together....http://www.bigbendfishing.net/flotilla.htm
sea-grits

Post by sea-grits »

If I were starting out after fishing inshore bays and grass flats around here for 20+ years, I'd go with a 14' or 16', dirt-cheap used jon boat with about a 25hp used outboard in decent shape. Then I'd look for a 20' used, deep-V with high sides, for getting to 40'-100' depth water (in seas not higher than 4' max) to bottom fish and troll for king mackerel. I really like the 20' older Pro Line boats with about a 150-200hp 2-stroke outboard.
Welcome to these parts!
In a land called, Perfect, sea grits grows on the beach dunes in patches next to those of sea oats!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Welcome Mudshark :D

In addition to the good suggestion from Chalk about the social, the Club (NFGFC) also has monthly meetings at Beef O'Bradys, 1830 Thomasville Rd. on the third thursday 6pm. That would also be a good chance to meet folks and talk shop about boats and fish'n :thumbup: :-D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
mudshark

Thanks, friends

Post by mudshark »

Chalk - we didn't "creek fish" in Tx, completely different bay structures there, but I'm reading the local reports, and specks and reds like deeper water in the winter no matter where you are... doggone it, Feb. 26th is the TH boat show, isn't it? I'll try to do both...

Sea-grits - don't know about your time budget, but worrying about two boats and used outboards (not to mention paying for them) may be a little much for me. Yeah I'll admit, having inshore and offshore is the way to go though...

Sir Reel - don't know what NFGFC is, but sounds like my kind of scene. I'll mark it on my calendar..
sea-grits

Post by sea-grits »

Boats are like cars on depreciation. They both depreciate value at a high rate.
Look for a new bay/flats skiff you like and can afford. Determine the price and look around at a used jon boat/motor that's about 3-4 years old and has been well taken care of (usually this mostly means one that has been kept out of the weather and not used too much). Notice the difference in prices!
You may want to put off getting something to go offshore and hook-up at times with someone needing someone to fill an offshore crew (if you want to be invited again, chip-in for your share of gas, bait, ice, etc.).
With any kind of a flats rig, you need to know all you can about the rocks that can suddenly make fishing expensive in the general area of St. Marks and southeastward.
In a land called, Perfect, sea grits grows on the beach dunes in patches next to those of sea oats!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Welcome aboard, Mudshark.

NFGFC = North Florida Guf Fishing Club.
What was I supposed to do today?
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Ditto on the welcome, MS.
'Can't say anything, but good about BBF site and particularly the forum. It is an excellent source of info, with a great bunch of fun and sharing folks.
'Looking forward to meeting ya, and being pretty new myself, everyone else at the gathering in Feb.