Louisiana

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pennfish

Louisiana

Post by pennfish »

The wife told me yesterday she wants to go visit the family south of New Orleans in two weeks :smt026 . With a big grin I agreed to the idea, of course the boat will be in tow. Ive fished the delta about 8 times over the past 3 years. The last trip was in October, two buddies and I spent 7 days at a camp in Port Sulpher and fished 6 days straight. We loaded the boat every day, caught reds, trout, wich they call specks, black drum, flounder, sheeps, and huge jacks on chug bugs :lol: . The area is easy to learn and fish, a trip there should be on every fishermans list of things to do. I wouldnt trade this area for that but its a cool place to visit .
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

I've noticed several TV shows I've been watching were filmed in the area. The great thing is they are fishing for largemouth, redfish, trout, etc. in the same area. Looks like heaven. :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I've always wanted to fish that area. Might have to do it this year. Penn, if the trip materializes, I'd be interested in any advice about location and technique you might be willing to offer.
What was I supposed to do today?
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

While bass fishing the Lafitte area we eased into a canal that was holding alot of reds, we caught our limit in about 30 min 15 reds for 3 people. the slot is 16 to 27 with one over 27. I personly dont keep big reds, just take pictures. Its something to see hundreds of big bulls and 20 to 30 lb jack crevalle busting bait around the barrier islands with tight lines and screamin drags.
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

Tin can Ill share all the info I have. Been using borrowed aerials , need to buy my own. With the maps ican show you all you will need to have a very good trip
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

OK, Penn, where do I start?

pennfish

Post by pennfish »

:o I could get you real lost with that map. When I go Ill pick up some real localized maps only about 10 sq miles and bring them to the social. when you decide to go you can borrow them
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

What scale map is available?

pennfish

Post by pennfish »

The best maps Ive seen and used are aerial photos, they show in great detail the many, many creeks, canals, and ponds you will want to fish and navigate. we used the gps maps to find our way back to lets say the correct canal entering a pond such as lake sansbois or barataria bay. Oh by the way good morning
mudshark

lousiana

Post by mudshark »

For trout (specks to us from La. and Tx.), it's all about visibility, which usually isn't good. Sustained light SE is a necessity for green (trout) water, and it isn't that time of year - sandy bottoms are the exception, it's mostly organic mucky clay. Visibility makes little difference for reds and flatfish, though. Gold spoons in off-color water, silver in clear. Assorted plastic tails, too. Tides are very important, it's easy to get stuck in those bayous waiting for high tide to float you out. Be careful of aerials that may have been shot during a high tide. Fish the grass (emergent grasses, no seagrasses there, too turbid) shorelines and channels during tidal movement for reds - trolling moter only. Look for tailing reds in inches of water and cast ahead to intercept their path. Best live bait for larger fish is finger mullet, although they won't be in the bays for a while yet. Mud minnows (killifish) for big flounder. Trout love both and you won't have much problem with bait thieves. Flies can be excellent. A compass or GPS is essential - all those bayous will look the same after a while.

This time of year offers the chance for some big yellowmouth sow trout, but schoolies will be rare. Reds all year in the grass except for after severe cold snaps - deeper channels then, but they're hard to find - there are few well-defined creek and river mouths to run up like here. Well I could go on but I just wanted to offer my .02 about fishing back there in the bayous... btw, a white-hot iron skillet, a stick or two of butter, a lot of Paul Prudhomme's "Blackened Redfish Magic", and a 6-pack of Dixie (just for tradition) is better than most any complicated east coast recipe for firm-leshed fish, and you'll know you're in Louisiana! Good luck, keep us posted.
mudshark

Chandeleur Islands

Post by mudshark »

That's "firm-fleshed" fish. Oh, and if you ever get a chance to fish the Islands, they're legendary for trout.
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

This time of year sheepshead swarm the deeper canals where tidal ponds flow in and out, and I mean big,big ones. These fish are not timid biters like the ones here can be, jig head and shrimp ,and they hit it hard. No regs on them so catch what you want, we threw every thing under 4 lbs back and my buddy caught one that went 7. the first year I brought home 40 lbs of boneless filets, :lick: burned up one electric knife and lots of :beer: we had a big party and ate it all because it dosent freeze well. lookin forward to another fish fry, Ilove those sheepies
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

We just gonna have ta' set us up a BBF deal with them bayou folks! I am super-ready to go! Let's do it!

Thanks for lettin' know about, and anticipate, your trip! PLEASE report back!
Saltwater4me

Post by Saltwater4me »

Sounds like a great trip. We are planning on going back to Venice, Louisiana in April or early May (depends on how Turkey season is going :-? ). It is a really easy do it your self trip. We are going to fish some of the inshore oil rigs off of Venice for big trout and the usual redfish areas. If anyone wants to start putting together a road trip, then lets just set a date. The license is about $60 and you can get a room for about $35 - $45 per night. The rest is groceries and beer. Who is in?? :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Support the country you live in OR live in the country you support!!!!"
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Well, I'm not sure about the dates yet but I am gonna try and put together a trip this year. I am already going to Miss. this year and would like to plan my trips back to back, so I can leave the boat in Miss. and pick it up on the way to La. Not sure if I can get it together, but it sure would be nice :D
Keep all the tips and prices on lodging coming.
Fish Masterson