Shiner Tails

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ken K
Site Sponsor

Shiner Tails

Post by Ken K »

Will somebody please explain how you cut a Pinfish to produce "Shiner Tails". How do you fish them?
Ken
billy mc daniel

shiner tails

Post by billy mc daniel »

:D :D :D
hi
the way i have used this bait for many years, is as follows i hope
start at the begging of the dorsile fin, draw the knif back to the bottom of the tail. this will look like a small fish, you want to cut through the fish, so you have the top halfof the fish including the complete tail. when you make the cut be sure to follow the back bone to the anal fin.
the end result will give you , all of the top half of the fish from the beginng of the dorsal fin to the complete tail. i hope this is fairley clear.
it also is a good idea to use a small round piece of white jug, bleach.the size of ahole puch ,put this on the hook before putting on the tail, when a fish strikes it will not slide up the line, a sharp tooth from another fish, also no tangle with skin and line,
thanks
billystix custom rods :P
billy mc daniel

shiner tails

ken
use a cajun thunder with no or very little weight depends on deph.
no weight 4ft or less, want it to flutter like a bait fish, can get some really nice trout and reds with this set up, just pop pause pop pause pop.
let me know what happens.
thanks
billy-----billystix custom rods :lick:
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Thanks Billy!! Do you ever split the fish longways somehow, to get two baits out of one pinfish?
Ken
billy mc daniel

:roll:
hi ken
yes, you want to cut the fish in half at the begining of the dorsal fin then carefully split the fish down and thru the tail, this is best done on a large pin fish, caution, it is far better to use the entire top half of the fish, with the complete tail, this bait cost nothing, being frugel is going to cost you a big fish, larger bait larger fish, i have caught many trout and reds in this manner, so you judge,? bait to catch pinfish.
take a couple of chicken gizzards and cutthem into very small pieces, use a very small gold hook light line small pole and enjoy the fight , i wish i could catch a 3 lb pin fish i would use a custom billystix grouper rod to hold him with, they are very fiesty.
also white fish bites are good.very small pieces. it is hard to catch pin fish in the cooler months, they also make great grouper and cobia bait fished live, hook thru the tail with a lot of freedom to move and dart franticly, cast live pinfish aroud channel markers or directly to a cobia. do not use weight ,free line only.
billy
billystix custom rods :P