What do you think is wrong....

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

What do you think is wrong....

Post by Chalk »

What do you think is wrong with our fishery when you see pictures like the ones below and keep reading reports of the same nature coming from Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.... We sometimes have trouble-catching 12 or so fish.... Our creel and size limits are more or less 50% of what is in place in Louisiana…. What do you think it is, pollution, over fishing or we don’t know how to fish :lol: . Maybe it is lack of fishing, Louisiana probably has places that has never seen a rattling cork or a “secret weapon.â€
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

I believe the other Gulf states far exceed Florida combined in hatchery and restocking programs, therefore providing far more numbers of fish available.
Last edited by dstockwell on March 2nd, 2005, 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

They don't have a wevans over thar! He catches all our fish!! :-D
Just kidding!

It really doesn't make sense.....I know people who fished the St. Marks area 50 and 60 years ago....they mentioned days where they brought in over 100 fish......but even then, they weren't as big as what you see coming out of LA or TX now.
I'd say pollution has a role in it.........
People are quick to blame the folks that pulled nets......but they've been banned for quite a while now, and yet we still haven't seen a dramatic increase in the size or quantity of fish being caught.
Before I get pounced on....I'm not saying that nets were beneficial to the fishery....just not as big a factor as everyone thinks!
There has to be pollution in TX and LA....fuel docks, sulfur,...etc. So....I'd say they just have a better environment for trout, redfish, etc.....
My .02.... :D
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

All the above and "I think" much less fishing presure. Untill the state gets in line with a hatchery and restocking system, our fishing will continue to suffer "we just got more and more folks on the water and it WILL get worse" :smt010
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Second Chance
Site Sponsor

Post by Second Chance »

I have never fished TX but, I do fish LA a couple of times a year. As far as Redfish/trout I think its the shear size of the habitat compared to the number of fisherman even with the influx of out of state fisherman. You get back in the "wagon wheel" and you may only see a hand full of boats all day.I have noticed that with LA's 12" size on trout most of the fish we catch are 12"-13". I just wonder with limits like the ones pictured above how long the fishery can maintain itself. My .02
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Its also kinda of crazy to keep that many, with the numbers they allow, take some leave some.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I am optimistic and don't believe there is anything wrong with our fishery in Florida. I believe we are still in the recovery period for trout fishing and the best is yet to come. Maybe this will be our greatest fishing season on record. I base my opinion on the following points...

1- Fish stocks are supposedly increasing in (Florida waters) thanks to legally imposed limits.

2- The last Hurricane season really clouded our fishing waters and
I have witnessed a 110% increase in water clarity since Oct 2004.

I am predicting that once the waters hit the magic temperature, we will see some awesome fishing reports.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

I agree with MJ. It's been a few years since the net ban, but good things are always slow to come. It'll get better.

Nathan
Short Strike
Site Sponsor

Post by Short Strike »

Tin Can is so unpurdy that he scares all of them away from here over to there. (no offense TC...I just calls um as I sees um)

Other than that, I don't nothin about nothin. Told ya'll I was new at this stuff. However, it does make one want to down I-10 a ways. Don't it?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
--Doug Larson
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Well I for one say that in the mid 70's when I was first introduced to Econfina and it's rich bounty. It was nothing to bring home two ice chests full of trout. Yeah, I can already hear you saying you were the cause, but this was when the largest nets were being used and left out over night. Just really a time when many folks abused the fishery and we still caught fish

So when was the net ban set in place? When was it, 1994 the big ban was instilled, prior to that the estuaries were off limits I believe, not 100% sure. So 11 years and it's still hard sometimes hard to catch 10 trout over 15".

Grant it the size of trout has increased or my luck seems to have produced some larger trout. But, to add a twist to that comment, most of my larger fish have been coming from Keaton, consistently. This area maintains rich sea grass beds through the winter as well as the area out from St. Marks. But the areas in between St. Marks and Yates creek tend to die and become a barren waste land in the winter, I have walked and rode this area in January and it's dead. So, maybe pollution, maybe just lack of grass (structure) are contributers to the slow rebound of the once very rich fishery.

When was the last time you had to park at the firehouse at Econfina and walk back down, it's been awhile.

Good topic, maybe littoral can give us some in-depth analysis on the water readings in this area....

Next time you land that large trout, think about this article and the time it has taken to create such a magnificent specimen, give it a kiss and slide her back in and tell us about it, unless your fishing for money :o

BTW there is no wrong answers, only opinions and perplexing questions.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FE123
Last edited by Chalk on March 2nd, 2005, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I think fishing pressure has a lot to do with it. Go east of the St. Marks this weekend and count the boats.

I also think the last 2 years have been disrupted because of storms. 3 years ago I had several 100 fish days.

I think Florida needs to up their fish hatchery and stocking program. But, more important, it needs to be properly managed.

I suppose what I'm saying is there is no one specific problem.

My .02
What was I supposed to do today?
FUTCHCAIRO

LA. TROOUT

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

FELLA'S WE HAVE HEARD A LOT ABOUT POLUTION, WELL IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THE MIGHTY MISS. RIVER DUMPS ALL THE POLUTION FROM CANADA TO THE GULF OUT WHERE WE FIND THE MOST TROUT, BIGGER TROUT AND REDS. THEY HAVE MORE OIL WELLS AND FEEDER OIL LINES THAN ANYWHERE ELSE THAT I KNOW OF IN THAT AREA. MAYBE WE SHOULD START DUMPING MORE AND MORE POLUTANTS IN DOWN AT ST.MARKS, DRILL US ABOUT 5-6,000 OIL WELLS OFF OUR COAST AND JUST MAYBE OUR FISH POPULATION WILL INCREASE TO.???????????????
PA
FUTCHCAIRO
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I think we have a larger number of "fisherman", and boats on the water then ever before. All that pressure put on the fish, and the environment will cause the quanity, and qauality of our fish population to deminish. Not to mention 90% of the people on the water are targeting trout, and reds.
In this region it's not uncommon for folks to drive 4 or 5 hours, every weekend to try their luck. I'm not sure Louisiana has that kind of influx to add to their resident fisherman.
Of course I've never fished over there, but it's just my .02.
EddieJoe

Re: What do you think is wrong....

Post by EddieJoe »

[quote="Chalk"]What do you think is wrong with our fishery when you see pictures like the ones below and keep reading reports of the same nature coming from Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.... We sometimes have trouble-catching 12 or so fish.... Our creel and size limits are more or less 50% of what is in place in Louisiana…. What do you think it is, pollution, over fishing or we don’t know how to fish :lol: . Maybe it is lack of fishing, Louisiana probably has places that has never seen a rattling cork or a “secret weapon.â€
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Good trout talk.....Thanks for chiming in.... :thumbup: