red fish lures

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eric

red fish lures

Post by eric »

I am planning on targeting redfish from the yak this spring. Ive been reading that crabs are 80 percent of the diet of redfish but I have not seen many crab imitation lures. I am thinking about making my own. Do you think they hit gold spoons because they think they are crabs or fish?
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Never seen a flashy lookin crab, so who knows why they hit the spoon.

Look at these.

http://www.doalures.com/softshellcrab.htm
eric

Post by eric »

I was looking at those, but the pin fish would have all the legs and claws chewed off after 2 casts. :o
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

I have taken a sheet of fishbites and cut my own, tough stuff, not pretty. I use the little leftover pieces to catch pins anyway. You will still catch pins.
for petes sake
stevo

Post by stevo »

eric wrote:I was looking at those, but the pin fish would have all the legs and claws chewed off after 2 casts. :o
You're right about that. I used a berkley GULP crab last time I went out. Right away I was getting little bumps. When I pulled it up I only had the body left.
BKTomblin Jr

Post by BKTomblin Jr »

Redfish Rock !! good eats I had any/all my luck fishin shrimp close by sand/oyster bars.
eric

Post by eric »

My first attempt at a crab lure. Now have to figure out to attach hooks. I took two colorado blades and stuck them back to back to make a clam shell. Looks cool in the cows water trough.

Last edited by eric on March 16th, 2005, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Now that is one awesome looking lure. Betcha it could catch some fishermen, if it doesn't work on the reds--I'll try it!
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Every red I have caught has come on a fish or shrimp type bait.....I have cleaned quite a few as well and never have found any crabs or crab parts in them....

Redfish are piggy, meaning if they see it, believe it and can catch it, they will eat it....

To say which is better a crab or fish bait for reds....If I had the choice of a hard and pinching crab or a soft mud minnow, mullet or skrimp...it wouldn't be a crab, but I have a tender mouth... :lol:

Not saying they don't eat them....just my experience
2true

Post by 2true »

I caught a Black Sea Bass last fall with a baby stone crab in its belly.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I've caught many hundreds of redfish. Not a single one on anything that resembles a crab.
I have fished crabs and crab parts before. Never caught a thing.

Just remembered. I have caught fish on crab trap bouys. :D
eric

Post by eric »

maybe they just like crab poop :lick:
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Friend of mine swears by live medium-sized (2-4") blue crabs that he dip nets or cast nets for in the shallows at places like Shell Point or Alligator Point or Ochlockonee Bay. Hooks them thru the side and then casts them around structure while wade- or yak-fishing. Says they hardly ever miss.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Myself, Rocket and another friend were out last year and started noticing some big surface explosions around us. After closer observation, I spotted some blue crabs swimming on the surface. We were fishing artificial lures and were broken off on more than one occasion in that area, and the only fish that we landed in that area was an oversized Red. So, I guess it would be safe to assume that a school of bull reds were in there chasing them crabs around, and we managed to hook into a couple of them.
BKTomblin Jr

Post by BKTomblin Jr »

Please excuse me for gettin back to the story late, but are the "crabs" being spoke about the ones you find on the beach in masses ??? If alls true, heck I might as well stop-off and pick-up some :smt017