Need your advice

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kyfisher

Need your advice

Post by kyfisher »

I just moved to Florida from Kentucky (will be down here for 5 years for my medical training) and I am interested in purchasing a boat to fish the flats. I would like to know your opinions on what would be better to fish the flats: a 14-16 ft john boat or a 15 ft gheenoe. I would like to spend around $1500. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Well KY -
First things first ...
Welcome Aboard !

There are many more experienced fishermen & boaters here than me that will surely give you honest advice on your boating needs for this area. I will offer my .02 I'd go for a larger boat with allot of room, and one that could handle 2's & 3's. I would choose a larger boat because in this area, water and weather conditions can change rapidly, and it would be safer in a larger craft.

Additionally, there are allot of great folks here that will help you out any way they (we) can...

Welcome Aboard :smt006 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

mjsigns wrote:one that could handle 2's & 3's
:o I guess you need a new boat too :lol:

Jon boat would increase your range some, maybe a mile or two, but that's about as far as I would take one out into the gulf, but I would run the bank from St. Marks to Miami in one....

Gheenoe, gotta love a gheenoe..they have their places, but not to far out in unprotected waters...

I would say the biggest and widest jon boat you can find in your price range would be a good platform to build upon....

Welcome aboard....
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

What the said "except MJ's 2 ta 3's" :-D even I want take my 17 foot Bass boat out in 2 ta 3's :o The main thing is that a Gheenoe will get into shallower water, but can't take much rough stuff. The Jon boat can take more of the rough stuff "and more passengers", but won't get as shallow :smt017

Welcome aboard :beer: and ask and give help often :smt025
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

mjsigns wrote:I'd go for a larger boat with allot of room, and one that could handle 2's & 3's.
So when you moving up to a big deep boat. :-D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Welcome to Florida, Ky. And, welcome to the nut house.

Given a choice between a jon and a genoe, I'd go with the jon. Keep your eyes open, and be patient, and you can find a rig for under $2000. It'll probably be an older rig, so check it out thoroughly.

As others have stated, you can sucessfully fish the flats in a jon boat, but you have to be aware of the conditions. The weather is subject to change rapidly in this area.

Good luck with your search.
What was I supposed to do today?
FUTCHCAIRO

WELCOME KY.

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM KY., THERE ARE PLENTY OF NICE OLDER JONS, FIBERGLASS BOATS WITH GOOD POWER FOR SALE. PICK UP A BIG BEND CLASSIFIDE SHOPPER AT MOST ANY 7-11 TYPE STORE, THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF BOATS FOR SALE IN IT. I BOUGHT ONE THIS AFTERNOON, AS IF I NEED ANOTHER BOAT, GOT A 1978 FLEETWING WITH A 90 EVENRUDE ON IT, FISH FINDER, ANCHOR, AND GPS. PAID $2,500.00 FOR IT. RUNS LIKE A SCALDED DOG, NO CRACKS , LEAKS OR SOFT SPOTS IN THE SOLE OR TRANSOM. I ALWAYS PUT A BOAT THAT I AM LOOKING AT IN THE WATER AND RUN IT FOR ABOUT AN HOUR BEFORE I EXCHANGE ANY GREEN STUFF. IF YOU TRY ONE OUT AND IT DOES NOT RUN GOOD, RUN DONT WALK , I ALSO LOOKED AT A DURACRAFT 16' WITH A 40 JOHNSON ON IT, GOOD FISHING BOAT, SEMI -V BOW TWO BASS SEATS, ONE FRONT, ONE BACK. THIS IS A ALUM. BOAT AND IN GREAT SHAPE, IT WAS LOCATED ON S. MONROE JUST BEFORE YOU GET TO CAP. CIR. SOUTH. I RAN THIS BOAT AND IT RAN OUT GOOD, TRAILER NEEDS TO BE SCRAPED AND PAINTED, PULLED FINE AS IS. HE IS ASKING $1,700 FOR IT AND IT WOULD BE A GOOD BUY. JUST A LITTLE SMALL FOR 3 TO FISH OUT OF , THIS IS THE REASON I BOUGHT THE FLEETWING, IT IS A 19' BOAT.
GOOD LUCK, THERE IS ONE OUT THERE FOR YOU. PA (AKA) ALMAR :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
FUTCHCAIRO
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Welcome aboard......I've got a friend with a 14 ft. aluminum with a 6 horse Johnson.....carpeted wood on the bottom for stability....trailer included. He used it quite a bit on the flats, but he has 3 boats and wants to get rid of this one.

He's asking $1200.

Let me know if you want his info....
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

KY? sounds like a familiar family name. Are you folks into JELLY?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

:smt011

:-D
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

:smt042
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Welcome Kintuck. Pay no a mind to these guys poking fun. It's the norm from a great bunch a jokers.
I can't advise you on what would suit your needs best, since I'm no authority on much of anything.
I will tell you, I have fished out of a 15' square back canoe with a 3 house kicker, but wouldn't recommend it. My bay boat (more a river/lake boat) is a 16' CS J model with a 30 Nissan. It work okay, but as with the canoe, only up to a light chop. Get's real wet, otherwise. I bought it off the side of road for 2k, which was in my mind a good buy.
You might consider the kayak route or wading, til you find what you want.
Take your time in shopping around. Like the others here say, there's lots of good deals out there.
Good luck. QO
nautigator

Post by nautigator »

QO- It always starts with a square back canoe, 3 hp kicker and then you add a circulating livewell (Cause a gator was interested in my stringer), AM/FM cassette (this was years ago), swiveling bass seats, Minn Kota 35 trolling motor, and a depth finder. I even made outriggers for trolling for specks... It never really ends!
Go out and find a boat that you can afford and enjoy it. If you can't make it out 30 miles, then so be it, just be safe. Mother Nature tends to weed out the foolish, we jokingly call them Darwin award candidates.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

If you ever want to go deep, just ask. There are always open seats on someones boat. I have room sometimes if you are interested.