So I put the boat in at the lighthouse today...

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Cynical

So I put the boat in at the lighthouse today...

Post by Cynical »

Barely.

Last weekend I spent cleaning the boat, charging the battery, checking my gear, etc. I even cranked and ran the motor. What I should have done was check the steering. :smt013

I got to the lighthouse ramp at about 1:30 to see a nice traffic jam of boats coming in, including a Key Largo being towed in by another Key Largo. I thought to myself, "how ironic, here I am putting another Key Largo in." I finally got my turn at the ramp after witnessing some "interesting" trailer backing display and an even more interesting tutorial in how not to load your boat on your trailer, followed quickly by a quick yet poignant primer on how not to pull your boat and trailer out of the water before the motor is raised. :smt009

I made quick work of dropping the trailer in the water and jumped in the boat and fired her up. Easy enough. Then I backed off the trailer. Again, easy. At that point I realized there was no steering; it was frozen. Doh! :smt014

So I smoothly grab my paddle and, using my right arm to paddle and my left to work the throttle, I get the boat lined back up to the trailer and stick it right back on the trailer. Not too embarrasing (because it looked like I was a pro working the boat with a paddle and got it back on the trailer quickly without making a scene)...

After I pull it out of the water, the Key Largo pilot who towed the other Key Largo in asked me what was wrong. I'm sure he felt bad, but today definately wasn't the day for Key Largo's at the lighthouse. The week before he had run out of gas and had to be towed in! This week, he got to tow someone in when their batteries failed (and, to top it off, he took his battery out of his boat so the other Key Largo pilot could raise his motor at the ramp)! Another SOWEGA boater (a female) approached me and let me know that the exact same thing happened to her and her hubby the week before!

At any rate, I got the steering issue taken care of this evening at the house. It was just frozen due to some rust on the outer push rod (the most common problem really). I got it buffed off of the rod and everything put back in place sort of. I'm waiting on the paint to dry on the link from the motor to the steering rod - I noticed it was rusted up a little so I took it off and buffed it out and painted with car underbody paint. That "should" look decent considering the little mercury is black too.

Everyone at the lighthouse was coming back empty handed. Looks like the cold weather caused some more lockjaw or pushed the trout into the holes and creeks again. Hopefully we'll get some consistently warm weather to bring the water temps up soon.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

AH, the joys of owning a boat.

Sorry ya had a bad day. Sounds like you take good care of your equipment. But, there's always one more thing to do on a boat.
Your next outing will be better. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
Cynical

Generally speaking,

Post by Cynical »

Generally speaking, BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand. :lol:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

At least everyone weren't coming in with limits :o tuff luck on the steering but if there is a good time ta discover it, that would be one of em :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Sounds like an interesting morning at the ramp. It amazes me with boats that see saltwater that it’s always something……
Brian
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

One summer evening about 12 years ago at the lighthouse, me and one of my old fishing buddies got the motor started, and found out he couldn't steer. His john boat had a console with stick steering in the bow of the boat, and I was in the stern. We were downright determined to go out fishing, so he shouted out steering commands over the running motor and I used my feet to steer the outboard. We went on out and fished on the flats.... :roll: The amazing part of this was it was after dark, and we fished most of the night... :-)
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

One time about twenty years ago (really), I was fishing with a buddy in the old style bass boats. We put out at the LH, as we had done for many times before. I was in front of him in the boat and looked back and water was at his feet and the boat was listing to the stern. We were about 1/4 mile out!
I hollered and he looked back and his eyes got real big :o .

We made it back running wide open, and got the boat back on the trailor, let the water drain, AND PUT THE PLUG IN, and fished.

I aint never forgot a plug since..... :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Auto-bilge pump :smt023 :smt023 It lets ya know somethings up long before it gets bad :beer: :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”