Fishing Blind on 4/20/05

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BIG
Site Sponsor

Fishing Blind on 4/20/05

Post by BIG »

Left the LH at 10:30 a.m. After 4 months of boat inactivity I couldn't find my GPS, my depthfinder would not work and my tolling motor wasn't working either. Decided to go east but not too far since I was extremely paranoid of hitting rocks since the last time out I had $1,100 of lower unit damage courtesy of the Rock Garden.

First cast my friend, fishing a shrimp under an equalizer, hooks up with a 27 inch cobia. What a rush! Can't imagine a keeper size in the flats. He continues to catch undersized trout while I go through an assortment of Salt Water Assassins. Although I caught trout on every color I had other than electric chicken, it was nothing like the action he was getting on shrimp.

After getting tired of catching undersized trout and the shrimp bite slowing down, I went west of the LH at 1:00 p.m. I was was roughly 1/2 mile west of the pole in the water. Immediately, my buddy hooked into spanish mackerel. I having gone through my assortment of SWA again decided to join the fun and fish with shrimp under my Cajun Thunder. I got into the mackerel too. I finally caught a legal trout and more spanish.
Even caught 2 more legal on just a jighead and grub while packing up to leave. Back at the ramp at 3 p.m.

Final Tally:

1 Cobia
1 Sand Trout
1 Sailor's Choice
20 Undersized Trout
3 Keeper Trout - All Female (Interesting)
6 Spanish Mackerel

My best boating trip in the Apalachee Bay on the flats. Being skunked many times and having had limited success but spent plenty of money in the pursuit, boy it was fun. I can't imagine catching 50+ that others have recently posted.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

WTG.... :thumbup: :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

About time ya got back on the water :thumbup: That's not a bad catch by no means :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

and imagine doing it without all the gadgets... next time you go let me know - it'll be the blind l-t-b!
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

WTG. Appreciate the report.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

FYI: Cobia keeper length is 33 inches :oops:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Jumptrout51 wrote:FYI: Cobia keeper length is 33 inches :oops:
He didn't keep it read again.....
hooks up with a 27 inch cobia. What a rush! Can't imagine a keeper size in the flats.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Good report BIG. 'Guess ya gonna be back soon, huh?? Good to hear ya had a fun day.
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

That was a great report! It gives me renewed hope that, in the 13'er, I will one day hook up with a cobe, too.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

You are starting the new fishing season in a BIG way :thumbup: :thumbup: , and ended that last season with a BANG to the LU.... Find those instruments and be careful out there. What a great report :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.