St. Marks 11-15-2002

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

St. Marks 11-15-2002

Post by Tom Keels »

We beat everyone to the lighthouse this morning and headed south in search of grouper. We found seas that were slightly more than forecast. Water temp 66° and a NE wind about 10.

Started trolling in 15-18 feet of water with Barramundi Maulers. First fish was a 12" Rock Bass. Next fish was big, really big. Could barely do anything with him and he got tangled in the other bait. Got him to the boat but he had other ideas. SNAP!

Re-bait.

10 minutes later. We are completing a turn and I see a small tap. As soon as the line came tight again, bam, another huge fish. Couldn't do anything with this one either. Broke him off way back. OK, time for stouter tackle. Re baited this time with a CD-18 Rapala in blue fire tiger, same color as the lost mauler. 10 minutes later we had a 30" 11 pound gag in the box. Another pass over a spot, bam, another huge fish, and I can barely move this fish. Had to get on top of him to pull him up. When he finally came up, I found out why. Ever tried pulling a bucket through the water? Well, that's what its like trying to pull a foul hooked 31" gag up too.

A few more passes produced a 4# spanish and two short gags. The last fish came on the shorter CD Rapala, and it was a nice 8 pound gag. All the while, we are finding great bottom on Tin Can's new Garmin 240 Fishfinder. Folks if you want a great B/W bottom machine, this is the one. On several of the fish we caught or hung, we saw the fish on the machine with the big arch like they show you on the ads before we hung them. I really think the bottom machine was key today.

The winds and seas never did hit the South @ 10. It ended up East @ 15 with 2-4's. We just couldn't hang in that any more. We didn't catch many fish today, but it is a trip that I will not soon forget. I had a blast!

Tom Keels
Site Founder

Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Great report Tom. :D What kind of rod and reel and line weight do you use to troll that size lure?
Ken
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I was using a penn 6500 spinning reel on a 6'6" Penn slammer rod. 25 Pound Trilene Big Game Flouro Green line.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Nice job fellas! I wanna try that one day..........hint,hint. :)
weatherguy

Bobbers?

Post by weatherguy »

Hey, those rigs behind you in that picture don't have stretch lures on them....are you getting sneaky?

:lol:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

We are sneaky, we didn't use stretches. Those rigs in the background are our backup plans!
Tom Keels
Site Founder

weatherguy

Post by weatherguy »

Sure they are!.......................I'm hoping to get on some grouper when I come up this Thanksgiving. Glad to see yor site is still up and running....and people are still catching fish!