Econfina 8/21 #2

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mattfsu7
Site Sponsor

Econfina 8/21 #2

Post by mattfsu7 »

I saw another post from Econfina on Sunday so I labeled this one #2. We were on the water by 7am and went out the mouth and to the South to where the bird racks were. I say were, because it looks like one was leaning over and the other was completely down. It looked like a lumber pile just above the surface - a potentially dangerous situation for someone not familiar with the area.

Anyway, on to the fishing. We started a drift in 5.5 feet of water and in the first two drifts caught about 15 fish with 2 big enough to keep, all trout. One fish was 23 inches. This was about 3 hours before dead low tide and there was a slight wind from the north. The water was the color of coffee and there was a fair amount of grass in the water. THe water temp was 87. I usually drift a Mirrolure off the back of the boat, but the grass was too thick. After our initial sucess, the bite just died. We caught all fish on neon green Saltwater Assassins with no cajun thunder, just bounced them slowly off the bottom.

Around 11 we went out to deeper water, about 8 to 9 feet to look and switched to live pinfish on a cork. We caught two sharks, one about 3 ft. long but that was it. By then the wind had died completely and it felt like we were on the surface of the sun, way too hot. We called it a day at noon and headed back. Nothing spectacular, but a nice morning on the water and a few fish. A good Sunday in my book.
catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

All sounds good...except for the heat. :thumbup:
2true

Post by 2true »

:thumbup:
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

good to go! Been 3 weeks for me- so reading bout the Econfina gives me the twich in my reelin hand...come on long weekend!
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Good report! Thanks.
Sea Gurl

Post by Sea Gurl »

A 23 incher is great! :thumbup:

Sounds like a good day to me in the heat of August - at least you were out there.

Thanks for reporting.

Sea Gurl