Who says you need a boat? 9/24

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

stevo

Who says you need a boat? 9/24

Post by stevo »

Saturday the wife and I decided to make the drive to the old bridge to St. George. It had been a while since we made the trek, since May I believe. Lately we've been going to P-cola to visit with my brother or opt for the shorter drive to wakulla beach to do some fishing.

I was glad I didn't have a boat saturday. They bay was looking quite rough and there was a steady 20kt breeze from the SE. We grabbed a couple dozen live shrimp from Fisherman's Choice and got to the Eastpoint side of the bridge about noon. The tide was all the way up, just about to go out. The water was about as clear as it gets for the bay, green-blue, with a couple feet of visiblity - A huge difference from last May, when the water was so muddy and brown the only things biting were sailcats and hardheads.

We fished the shrimp on the bottom, with 1oz sinkers because of the wind. My wife always outfishes me, but she really showed me up this time. Within about 30min she had 2 bites, both keeper black drum. One 15" and one just over 14". A bit later she pulled in a beautiful red, but just short 17 3/4". It had 4 spots on one side and 5 on the other. But just a while later she pulled in a keeper 19" (He was delicious :lick: ). I lost one about the same time - felt like a nice red, moved quick, pulled drag off my light spinning setup - 10lb test - I had drag set around 4lbs, too high I suppose since the line broke at the knot above the swivel. But I wasn't to be skunked since I was able to pull in a nice 15" flounder.

Fish for dinner, fish for lunch, and fish for dinner again. Sure makes the drive worth it. You gotta love those FSU bye-weeks. We'll probably try to head over there again next sunday.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Great job of reporting :thumbup: With the fuel prices being what they are it's nice to know we can leave the boat on the trailer if we have to :-D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Good deal. :thumbup:
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

WTG! Nice report! And good catchin'! But don't those extra spots on that red count for a quarter inch? :wink:
stevo

Post by stevo »

Aucilla wrote:WTG! Nice report! And good catchin'! But don't those extra spots on that red count for a quarter inch? :wink:
He was purty, but I measured him at least 4 times and each time he was just under 18. Already had 2 in the cooler, so we let him go to get real big.

The weekends just can't come fast enough. Is it still monday?!?! :smt013 :smt010 :smt009