St. Marks 9/30

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tin can
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 9/30

Post by tin can »

Birddog and I put his boat in the lighthouse pool at 0715 this morning and headed east. When we stopped at the first creek mouth the water was too shallow to float his boat. However, with the boat dragging the bottom I caught a 25" red on the third cast this morning. We both were surprised to see a fish in water that shallow on a low tide. We couldn't mineuver the boat that shallow, so we got out, waded a few minutes, then pushed the boat back to deeper water. We drifted for a while and birddog picked up a decent trout. When the tide started in we started in, looking for reds. I don't know how many miles we put in today, but we covered a lot of water. Diring the high tide we ventured up what appeared to be a very small creek. 200 yards up the creek it opened up, and went forever. We explored that creek until the tide turned. Then we headed out of the creek to fish more creek mouths and shoreline on the falling tide. We finally decided it was time to head back to the lighthouse at about 6:00 this afternoon. Got the boat back on the trailer at about 6:40.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important part. We caught reds all day, everywhere we fished. We lost count, but we boated around 20 reds, broke off 4, and had at least 8 or 10 more on that we didn't land. I think birddog caught 1 on a spinnerbait. The rest were caught on...........you guessed it, topwater and spoons. And for anyone who has looked at baits and wondered, a Storm, Thunder Dog, pink in color, will indeed catch a redfish.

It's been a heck of a day with a good friend. I'm fully aware that these days don't come often. It was a blast.
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Bragger....You suck..... :smt019 ... :wink: :lol: :lol:

BTW....Good Job
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

Sounds like a GREAT day John!!!
od
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Nice! :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Sounds to good to be true......

Me and the wifee are planning a trip for Saturday afternoon...

Thanks for the tips....

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

That creek sounds really neat! What a day :thumbup:

Funny how the effectiveness of spinnerbaits has dropped off lately.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

WTG :thumbup: started ta call ya yesterday when I put in at 4 o'clock, but figured you was gone already :hammer: I didn't get the first strike around the bars at Piney Island :smt012 :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I musta just missed you all yesterday morning...Sun was just breaking horizon when I came by the lighthouse...Came down from Shell Island in the dark...Sounds like you all wore em out !
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Wish I had known you were out there, Sundown. I woulda hollared.
What was I supposed to do today?
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Great day. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

That was not fishing, that was a day of CATCHING :o

We live for days like that!!
birddog
Site Sponsor