Lanark/Dog Island 10/9 and 10/10

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Lanark/Dog Island 10/9 and 10/10

Post by noleflyfisher »

Trust me there is no red tide in the Lanark/Dog Island area. Sunday I was flying solo. Hit the water at about 8:00 and was greeted with a nice high tide. Skies were overcast so I started drifting a shallow edge with a chug bug. First drift landed two nice trout and had several bowling ball type blowups. Did one more drift and got a couple of smaller trout. Decided to go look for reds. I found them on the crown of big flat. Despite the overcast skies they were relatively easy to see and almost glowed against the grey backdrop. I fished until 3:00 and saw and caught reds throughout the falling tide. Forgot the camera so no Sunday pics.

Monday, weatherman calling for light northwest winds and abundant sunshine. People are not supposed to work on days like this and the Sunday trip sealed the deal on taking the day off. School's out so my little girl joins me. On the water by 10:00 and started throwing the chug bug as I drifted toward the redfish water. As I'm nearing the real skinny water something absolutely erupts on the chug bug. I keep it moving and the fish explodes again. One more twitch and the big copper head comes out of the water and swallows the plug. A few minutes later Sydney and I have our first red of the day . . . a heavy bodied 26 incher. I put the spinning rod away and we start creeping on the top of the flat. Within five minutes we have the second red to the boat. Long story short, we ended the day at 3:30 and saw fish all day long. Probably landed twenty fish and had at least three doubles. Also landed a 23 inch trout in a foot of water. He was cozied up to a bigger trout that I hooked and pulled off seconds before he ate. :o

BTW the sharks and sting rays have disappeared and the sheepshead are on the flats in force (a sure sign of fall to me). I probably saw 200 sheepies today and could not convince a single one to eat . . . I love those fish. A few pics from today.

This kid's got game :P . . .

Gotta work on the high rod tip, however . . .

I am blessed. Go Noles!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

From the looks of your pictures, it was slick today. :thumbup:

Looks like you have yourself a serious fishin partner. I love seeing pictures of kids enjoying a fishing trip. I'll bet you have a partner for life.
What was I supposed to do today?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Thats the good stuff, Nole. I forgot to mention in my SJB post that we saw tons of sheepshead, too. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

20 on the long pole... :o Image

Looks another fishergirl is born..... :thumbup: :thumbup:
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Awesome trip ! I'm like Tin Can, nothing can make me smile like seeing those children enjoying themselves fishing ! You got a great partner !
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Outstanding news from Lannark. Once again I am up-staged by the great pictures and the story of fish being caught, instead of just a fishing story with snapshots ....

Great Job !
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Priceless! WTG :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

It just don't get no better than that :thumbup: :thumbup: and the shells on the casting deck just tops it off :-D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

Awesome report nole. Great pics. Great scenery. The pic of your little girl bowed up on the flypole is good :thumbup: .
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

A day to cherish, Noleflyfisher, my daughter is now 15 and 'too busy' for fishing but she sometimes brings up her boating memories from those early years. Especially how she would catch more fish than me and the time she threw up on my lap. I wish we had taken more photos. The shot with the redfish is fantastic.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Very nice :thumbup:
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Awesome. The kid, the fish, the gear, the boat, the photo's, the weather, a day off... :thumbup:
Don't sound jealous, do I ?
back to work... :smt012
Nice report.