St Joe Bay report

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

1-850-Bay-Fish
Site Sponsor

St Joe Bay report

Post by 1-850-Bay-Fish »

October is gone , and it was a hard ending to what has been in the past a good time to fish. This past week we fished crooked Island sound and Apalachicola. I haven’t fished St Joe Bay, Red Tide ,wind and just plan tired of working that bay all day and only finding a few good fish. Crooked Island sound has the Spanish stacked up. You can sit and catch all you want. Gottch gigs were the ticket , We had to put 50lbs fluorocarbon on our white grubs to fish for flounder and trout, the spanish would cut you off nearly every cast if you didn’t. The Apalach bite was fair, small reds and trout. Fished live shrimp and the white grubs in and around the creek mouths. This week coming we will be fishing further inland and giving St Joe canal and bay another look. Unless someone has a good place to shoot for. I’m always looking for a good place to fish. Good luck and have a safe trip Captain Goodrich
nothing is free except cheese and its in a mouse trap
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

The bay was vacant of life last Sunday....Only living thing we saw was a few pinfish near the public ramp...Hope redtide didn't wipe that great fishery out
1-850-Bay-Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by 1-850-Bay-Fish »

My thoughts are it will come back soon, but not soon enough. I figure by spring It will be back. I plan to give it a try every week, just to keep up with the Bay. Will be fishing alot of new areas this winter, and need all the help I can get so you all post some good reports!!!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Biologist at the Marine Research booth at the festivle said there were only pockets of red tide in the bay and that they were seeing plenty of fish out there. I started to ask what they were smoking. :o
1-850-Bay-Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by 1-850-Bay-Fish »

Hi everyone Captain Goodrich here, Its into the second week of November and I’m still seeing the signs of “Red Tideâ€
BYRON SHEFFIELD
Site Sponsor

Post by BYRON SHEFFIELD »

WHERE IS CROOKED ISLAND SOUND CANT FIND IT ON MAP
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

BYRON SHEFFIELD wrote:WHERE IS CROOKED ISLAND SOUND CANT FIND IT ON MAP
Between Mexico Beach and Tyndall....access is a dirt ramp or by boat
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

There are no fish at Crooked Island! ;-)
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

The fishing was very good

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

Last week through Monday, we fished west of the Shell Point beach in Oyster bay. Worked the oyster reefs and the flats. Caught a ton of short trout and short reds. Caught one 24" red. We fished behind one bar that was 6 ft. at medium tide and each of us (3) had our limit. Using various grubs tipped with bits of shrimp or squid. Then the white trout started biting. We kept three white trout over 16" long. Biggest I have ever seen. That took place middle of last week. I fished alone Sunday and limited on trout all over 17" like in three hours with lots of shorts, throwing back 15 and 16" trout. The past few days it was like being in the Bahamas, just beautiful. The fish are still out there.

Captain Charlie

See you on the water.
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660