AlligatorPoint 12/16/02

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

AlligatorPoint 12/16/02

Post by fish finder »

A little late with the report, but here it is. Left the dock as early as the low tide would let us with a smorgasboard of dead bait in search of some winter grouper. Anglers were Capt. Randle Leger, Steve Canfield and myself. First stop in 35 ft off Dog Island, but didn't mark any fish and no bites. Went to 45 ft with the same results. On out to 55 ft and we found them thick and hungry. We fished a great late morning , early afternoon bite with several species getting in on the action. We caught flounder ,grouper red and gag, amberjack, even a rare hogfish, which the divers tell me are even better tablefare than grouper. We also caught and released several red snapper. We did keep a couple of lane snapper. Although I usually rely on cut LY's, on this day the bait of choice was cigar minnows. We ended the day with 11 nice grouper, 4 at or over 15 lbs, with the biggest being 31" and 17 lbs. I would post a picture if I knew how.(hint) The water was quiet dirty and cold. The water temp ranged from 53 degrees in 35 ft to 59 degrees in 55 ft. The weather was perfect and the company great. The boat ran great and we didn't tear up any equipment. It just doesn't get any better.
High tides and calm winds,
Capt. Jay[/img]
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sounds like a great trip. Good report.
What was I supposed to do today?
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Wayto go... :D