Today (12/29) Off Dog Island

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

EddieJoe

Today (12/29) Off Dog Island

Post by EddieJoe »

Due to the cold weather, I took my time getting up this morning, so I was not heading out of the ramp at Lanark until about 9. Had a bag of Alewives and some old squid for bait, but it was just me fishing, so I figured that would be fine.
Weather was a bit chilly, but it warmed quickly. Winds variable about 5 k. I went out to two of my spots in about 45' of water off Dog Island, but nothing there except a few grunts and black sea bass. On to another spot, and this one was better.

Went through the usual just shorts, but managed 5 keeper grouper, 4 gags and one red. Most were about 24" or so, and liked the alewives. Also tried jigging with my casting rod, and that was a hoot. Caught at least half a dozen just short gags, grunts, sea bass, and a porgy! Right before I left to go in (limited out, hey I like the sound of that!) made the famous one more cast with the jig. Wouldn't you know, I was smacked by (I guess) a large grouper, that ripped out about 50 yds of 50lb powerpro like it was nothing - I just could not stop that guy, and he "rocked me" into a ledge. I fiddled around trying to get him to budge, but no go. Had to put on gloves and break the power pro.

Headed in around one p.m. Tally: 4 gags, one red, about 8 big head sea bass, 8 ruby lips, 3 porgys, and 5 triggers. I finished cleaning the boat, rods, fish, and finally me about 7:00 pm. Tired, and my back hurts, but I like it.

Regards,

EJ
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sounds like a terrific day. I'm beginning to like this jigging for grouper thing myself.
What was I supposed to do today?
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

Sounds like a great day to me! One question...What's a porgy?
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

It is a silver colored, tall bodied, but thin fish caught in the area, but more frequently caught west toward Panama City. Ones I catch are pretty small, a pound or two, but they do get bigger. On the head boats the mates call them "silver snapper", kinda like party boat guys around here call grunts "ruby lips", so people will think they have caught something good.

I keep the big ones. They have flesh that is very similar to grunt. Usually I keep grunts, porgys, and sea bass (the big ones) because I am never sure I am going to catch grouper. If I catch a few grouper first I don't keep them. Not that they are bad eating (they are great), but I get sick of cleaning those little guys when I have some bigger fish.

EJ