today Ochlocknee Bay bridge

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BlueDrifter

today Ochlocknee Bay bridge

Post by BlueDrifter »

Took the yak out today. Mostly to explore I trolled and fished from the Western (?) end of the bridge to the main boat channel. I stayed about 20 feet from the pilings . No luck on the troll. The last section before the channel I pulled under the bridge a took a look with my fish finder, hundreds of echos that the finder said was fish on or near the bottom (10 feet), So I pulled off a little ways and cast shrimp near the pilings. The tide was running pretty strong and I could not get the bait near the bottom so no fish. I did have very heavy lead about 1/2 the weight it should have been. The wind was starting to make some swells and they were against the flow of the river so it became difficult to hold position with the anchor system. so I headed back West and up river about 100 yards from shore.

Was able to get a good drift that maintained me parallel to shore. I just drifted along. Soon the foot depth dropped to 27 feet and may have been my imagination but the water felt warmer . After about 30 yards the depth was again 5 feet. So went around and drifted through with a dead shrimp
. Finder showed fish but they were not biting after three of fur passes. I let the wind carry me about 1/2 mile farther and found an even bigger
hole" holding fish (they are still there since the bite wasn't on.) This time I just anchored and decided to wait them out. Suddenly I was out of time. As I was getting ready to pull the anchor another yaker came up and told me I found her secret spot. Except I was leaving too early. She said the last two hours before dark would do the trick. She also told me of more hot spots plus some really deep holes in a nearby creek.

She said sheep-head are all along the bridge. And on occasion Mangrove snapper.

My thanks to the lady in the yellow yak.

So guess where I want to go tomorrow.
dave7

Post by dave7 »

:thumbup: Leastin' ya got out there. What kind of fishfinder do you have on a kayak?
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." - John Buchan
BlueDrifter

fishfinder

Post by BlueDrifter »

I have a Zebco around $50 at Sports Authority in Tallahassee Mall.
The transducer will not shoot through my plastic hull so must be mounted externally.

For about twice that amount you can get a better one that will shoot through hulls. (but not mine) Works ok . Will permanly install cable and a transducer mount soon.

One thing about this unit is you get Icons for the fish not true tracings of fish. I am assurred by manufacturer that it is just as accurate.

If you are planning to get one see paddling.net for lots of suggestions for mounting.