Wakulla Beach 1/22

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Charles
Site Sponsor

Wakulla Beach 1/22

Post by Charles »

Almost ready to make a solo trip to Wakulla Beach this morning towing a canoe with a bike, when the little one (4 yrs.) changes her mind and wants to go.
"Okay, an hour ago you didn't want to go."
"I wanna' go fishin' with Papa."
"Okay, you can go. Give me a few minutes to change things around and we'll take the car. Go get your lifejacket and paddle."

Finally got to the landing a little after 10:30. Fought a stiff breeze out of the ESE all the way to the mouth of East Goose Creek. Passed one boat fishing right in the middle of the mouth of the creek, then two guys wading an oyster bar. Got another turn up above them and started working our way up the creek. Lost one trout shortly after we started. Found a promising looking rock hole on a sharp bend with two small bars along the outside edge. Picked up a 20" trout and a twin to the red I caught yesterday over in Middle Creek. Kept working our way up, missed a few, lost a few. Caught and relesed one little rat red. Then, "Hey, we're almost to the old Confederate Saltworks." Of course she had no idea what I was talking about. Found a tiny, little creek off to the left so we would have a very short walk through the marsh to the sandy flat. Parked the boat and went for a walk. Explored a few mounds. Examined some old boiler pieces, and new raccoon tracks. A lot of fresh hog sign all over. Fresh as in this morning. Also saw fresh tracks of where somebody else had been out there walking around. Probably somebody doing the refuge muzzle loader quota hunt.

Caught and released another red on the way out in the same hole where we caught the first. All these keepers seem to be very close to the same size. This one had a blue leader with a bright silver swivel on it. The other end deep in his belly, down past the crusher plates. I cut the swivel off so he'd have less to pass through, if that's what he's going to do, and relesed him.

This creek seems quite a bit more popular than Middle Creek, or maybe it's just Sunday. Didn't see anybody up the creek yesterday. Today we saw six people in three boats going up and four people in two boats coming back down. Spoke to one feller. They were using shrimp on jig hooks and catching a few rat reds. One boat we saw must have been catching something. They were there when we got there and when we left. Passed us going to the landing. Then again going the other way, back to the creek.

Like yesterday, everything that hit for us today was on a Catch 2000 or a 7M MirrOLure.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Quality Time .....

Did the little one have a good time?

Just the same :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
dave7

Post by dave7 »

Good deal :thumbup:

Your report yesturday convinced me to head down there this afternoon and do a little wade fishing. There were quite a few other trucks down there around 3:00 when I showed up. The bar at West Goose Creek paid off with my first trout of 2006. :D It really is beautiful back in there - even with the bugs. Someday, I'd like to try and find those saltworks you're talking about.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." - John Buchan
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

She mostly just goes along for the ride, but always has a good time. :D

The easiest way I know to get to the saltworks is to go almost as far up East Goose Creek as you can. The saltworks is the big, sand flat on you're left. It's easy to see on TerraServer.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/
It's the big, flat, sandy area between the marsh and the woods, generally north of Middle Creek and East Goose Creek.
There is a road to it visible on the sat photos, but I've never been that way. The road does go through the refuge, so going that way would involve bicycling or walking unless you were in on one of the quota hunts.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sounds like a fine outing, Charles. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?