Introduction and St. Marks fishing report from 1/22

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Introduction and St. Marks fishing report from 1/22

Post by Redfish Jim »

Hello everyone. I have lurked on your site for some time now and gotten some good info. I now want to contribute back with reports and advice, even if I don't know what I'm talking about.

I grew up in SE Ala and first started saltwater fishing in the Panama City area with my Dad. I love to fish and talk about fishing. I've been in Tally for over 20 years and have fished the inshore waters from Econfina to St. Marks for the most part during this time.

Everyone on this site seems to be good people so I'm looking forward to joining y'all. I'll even figure out them emoticons one of these days too so my posts will be animated.

Now on to the report: Left the lighthouse about 12:00 and the fog was so thick, I didn't want to go out. I hung close to the landing, but the fog rapidly cleared and I went out to some rockpiles in 14' then 20' in hopes of black sea bass or sheepshead. Nobody home. The live shrimp I put on the bottom didn't even get their legs eaten.

Went inshore to some creeks between the rock garden and Aucilla. Rocks everywhere in this creek. I have had some really phenomenal days in this spot but yesterday wasn't one of them...but it wasn't that bad either.

Got 5 redfish from 22" to 26" and 5 trout from 16" to 18". Water temp was 65 and caught the fish on one of those new Gulp jigs with a swirly tail (white). The shrimp are now in the freezer. Tried the flats outside the creek and areas close to the mouth but the fish I caught were a little further back in the creek. Tide was coming in the whole time.

The weather had turned really pretty by the time I headed back to the ramp. Very nice.

Good to join you guys.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Welcome aboard Redfish Jim....Nice report...Keep them coming.... :thumbup: :thumbup:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

A good , solid 1st report, Jim. We appreciate the info. And, welcome aboard. :thumbup:
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
welcome on
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Welcome aboard RJ ! appreciate that first report...Makes me wonder whats the situation out in the deeper water..Seems like you should have at least had some small stuff picking on shrimp...Last time I went out to 20-25 ft about a month ago bottom was basically bare...
Again, appreciate your report and look forward to seeing more of you on here....
ROTORHEAD
Site Sponsor

Post by ROTORHEAD »

Great report. I'm going down tomorrow to fish wed. Maybe I can do that good.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Welcome, Jim. Thanks for the report. Check the social thread and come meet our group the last Saturday of Feb.
What was I supposed to do today?
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Good report. Welcome board, Jim. :smt006
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

WTG :thumbup: :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Welcome board, RedFish Jim :smt006
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
dave7

Post by dave7 »

:thumbup:
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." - John Buchan
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Welcome to the forum, Mr Jim. Good report.
Since ya been readin already, ya probably know some of us, like me, go from running ar mouths too much to a total 'clam-up' sometimes. Don't take afence to not gettin any response on a reg'lar basis...it ain't nothin' personal. ya jest have to goose us with somethin controversial ever' now and then, to get us talkin'. :-D
Me, I got a never ending honey-do list of projects and am lucky to get any fishin in at all. My problem is, it's to easy to put 'goin' off, being retired and so close to the water..Been once in the last 6 weeks- shame on me.
The emoticons are easy. just click on any one at any point in your post. Use the preview feature to check and see if it came out like you want. :D
Anyway, thanks fer a fine report there. Like chalk sez, keep em coming.
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

welcome aboard, and thanks for the report, hopefully I'll get out there this weekend, been trying all month. :thumbup:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Welcome RJ.
:D :smt006
Sounds like you have a considerable amount of valuable experience in this area. Some of us can sure use your advice. I wouldn't worry bout the lack of activity in the 15 ft area. We've all seen days when that happened. I'll bet there were fish there, they just had no interest in feeding. (I've got some of those shrimp in my freezer too :lol: ) Good report. We look forward to some more along with bits and pieces about you along the way. We'd sure like to see you at the Social. It's a great way to meet some of the people who belong to the names. Lots of good food, fish talk, prizes, and family fun.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

howdy! :smt006