St. Andrews Bay 02/05/06

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

St. Andrews Bay 02/05/06

Post by Chalk »

A raggedy old man and his raggedy old truck pulled up in my yard this morning and wanted to go for a boat ride...I said sure what's your name partner, he says, "some call me Tincan, but you can call me pee wee."

So off me and my partner peewee go.... :lol:

The winds were suppose to be 20 knots and dropping through the day...The flags were not moving as we made our way to the ramp...We launch the boat and head down the ICW to the bay.

Upon arriving at our first spot we noticed a little ripple on the water, seems the wind waited til we launched before it said hello....Today's trip was an exploring trip, every where me and pee wee went today was virginal territory...I had studied the charts and looked some satellite images and had decided on three spots to try...

Well we start up to spot number one and the water is clear, but not much grass near the mouth....We fish into the creek and find a school of minnows and a small red sunning on a sand bar....The red spooked and the minnows wouldn't bite :x :lol: We fish the creek for awhile, basically a bare sand creek, no bait, no grass and no fish...So we head off to spot number two and the wind was still picking up..

Spot number two looks much better, we have grass, almost gin clear water, see some bait and redfish....we ran over a school of redfish sunning at the mouth of this bayou...I fire a jig ahead of the school...got bit, missed it.....fired back in...Fish On :-D ....Fish Off :smt010 ...we chase this school of reds around for about 2 hours...Pee Wee managed to hook a nice 18" redfish with 4 spots...We threw it in the livewell....We chased the reds some more....They were either hip to our game or just not interested in our offerings...We decide to pack it in..call it a draw...fish hooked, fish caught, fish seen and a new fishing spot locked into the GPS for a later date.

Oh yeah the wind had turned southwest and was kicking....tightly stacked 1-2s with a three thrown in for good measure....We motor out to the edge of the flat and I noticed we were going to have to quarter the waves to get in.....pee wee had already figured that out and had positioned himself on the non wet side of the boat :smt011 We tear out into slop with the motor tucked and the bow riding high....Only went air born once or twice...pee wee was hanging on :lol:

Saw fish, caught fish, nothing broke....Another fantastic day on the water with my trusty side kick pee wee....Thanks for coming over partner, I had a blast as usual... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by Chalk on February 5th, 2006, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

PeeWee :-D

Anybody get a fat lip or did ya'll fish nice today?
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Did he seriously just use the terms pee wee and virginal in the same sentence? :smt044
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

:smt043
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I'm hurt. Cut to the bone. Oh, the mental anguish and humiliation. I may never recover. :roll:
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

birddog wrote:Anybody get a fat lip or did ya'll fish nice today?
I thought we fished nice...it was a good day....forgot to mention we saw two bald eagles...they appeared to be a on a date :o :lol:
bman

Post by bman »

I grew up fishing that bay in the summers. I have so many great memories there. Used to go down with a bunch of my high school buddies and run crab traps, flounder gig and scallop. That water has to be the nicest in the bigbend.

Dad and I used to trout fish a lot there in the spring and we caught some monsters- my biggest a 28" 8lber on topwater. That was back in the 80s when most of the trout were small.

I'm ready to go!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Thanks for the colorful report Mr Jim. Musta been fun, and for sure, beats wat I was doing.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good job of reporting Chalk... Let's see now... GPS #'s for a later date... that wouldn't happen to be May the 20th in the year of our lord 2006 would it? :-D

Eerman wrote:
Did he seriously just use the terms pee wee and virginal in the same sentence?
:smt005 :smt005
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

So, it was y'all that called out the wind god on Sunday :smt013 it was a cool and windless day till around 9:30 on the Ochlok. :thumbup: that must be about the time y'all got on the water :smt019 still not a bad day for a couple armatures :smt025 :smt023 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

wevans we put the boat back on the trailer around 2:45 my time and we headed back across town...crossed the Hathaway bridge and it was almost calm over there :smt011 ....I think a small hurricane forms over the boat when me and tincan fish... :x :lol:
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Nice report :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Chalk wrote:I think a small hurricane forms over the boat when me and tincan fish... :x :lol:
It's never been small. :roll:
What was I supposed to do today?
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Glad you were able to get out and have a good time :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Like bman, I have a lot of good memories of fishing St. Andrews Bay, but mine are back more years than I care to admit. I still make it over there about twice a year.