Another year and another project....

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Tiller with a poling platform, is my plan at the moment....I'll be glad when I get to that stage...fall is approaching fast and I have a long way to go...I hope to lay some glass tomorrow....
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

Well, get on it. This should be a good weekend to get alot of work done. I don't know how the weather will be in P.C. but it should be nice here. I assume that will just become a side project if you get that other boat, huh? As long as the weather was nice i'd be fishing not sanding thats for sure. I hope to get the topside painted on the XF-20 and depending on humidity and drying time maybe get some rigging started on monday. I've never really done much wiring other than putting up a ceiling fan so this elctrical stuff is gonna be fun. I have been given the word. This is the last holiday I am allowed to spend with the boat. My wife wanted to stay with family in Destin and watch the fireworks over the water.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

It's a daily project...The other boat won't interfere or it shouldn't, maybe when it comes to buying a trailer and motor :roll: :lol: ...My main problem is the number of chines...XF20 has two chines and a keel, this bad boy has 6 chines and a keel...I was hand sanding, I gave in and broke out the belt sander last week :lol: :lol:

What kind of paint are you using?
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

The paint for the outside of the hull came from these guys.

http://www.bluewatermarinepaint.com/vsi ... st,00.html

I used the one part mega gloss and their two part high build epoxy primer. I am really happy with the paint. I got cheap and lazy and rolled the hull. :roll: I was going to buy a Badger tip brush to roll and tip but just used a roller. The orange peel is not too bad but I'm gonna retry one side and see if tipping with the brush achieves a better finish. I know it wont be perfect but I don't want to look at the orange peel every day and think I could have fixed it with one or two more days. I mean when you've got a year long or so project what's one more saturday for a better finish.

For the decks again I used the high build primer and some west marine topside paint for the white trim. The console, sides, trim around the hatches and rubrails will be white. I am then going to paint the floor and decks with gray west marine non-skid. It has the stuff thats like sand but synthetic. I thought it would be a little bigger and rounder but its just like sand. I'm not too happy about that. From what I've seen the sand texture holds dirt and I have read some reviews that said it rubs off and the paint in general does not last very long. It's also rough on the feet although I barely fish barefoot. Seeing a buddy step on a plug cured me of that.

I don't know if youve seen the X Shark or something like that. It's like a 25' Mako a guy is turning into what looks like a parker. It's on Classicmako.com and Florida Sportsmans forum somewhere. He used some paint that was similar to a spray in bed-liner for trucks. They also have light gray. I like the rubber feel and the thickness with which it goes on. It will help hide some spots and I can sand less. The only thing is I was planning on painting this weekend and I'd have to wait for that to come in. I really want to finish this boat but I think I'd rather have the rubber non-skid stuff. It seems like it would also cut down on noise like when you set a tackle box down or drop a egg sinker on the deck. My dad was always big on not making noise and spooking the fish. So I don't know exactly what my plan of action is for the deck that other paint is also $100 bucks a gallon, which would be plenty. I usually never get as far as I plan anyways :smt022 so if not I might order the rubber stuff on
tuesday.

OK here it is I found it the link to the paint and the forum with the X-Shark.
http://www.nonslipcoating.com/

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=361136
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Yea, I know Bobby (Warthog) we pass emails and talk some....I saw the noskid the other day..I might try it... :thumbup:
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

Well cool, it's probably even nicer in person. He sure is doing a nice job. Maybe when I'm retired I'll try something like that. That is if you can still afford to put gas in a boat that size. Maybe we'll have fuel cell outboards in 20 yrs. So from what you saw the durabak seemed to check out ok?[/url]
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Yes...I'm gonna try it
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Started cleaning the garage to make room for the Ghost and ended up turning things upside down...I mean right side up... :lol:

Probably going to shave the bow to accept the trolling motor, rails added...Just need a little more glass, resin and time and she will be ready for some fishing

To Be Continued...
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Hurry up and finish that thing. I got somewhere we need to use it.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Well, I was worried about the JEM Watercraft thugs coming by and breaking my legs for not working much on the boat :o :lol: ....So I got a little work done this morning.....Transom is filleted and taped inside and out...Ran out of biaxial tape or I would of done more...

Plan to order supplies this week and make some more progress...

Anyone got a 15-20 hp mud motor I could try out once I finish the boat? Thinking of going that route for the low winter tides.

To Be Continued...
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I got a 9 horse sitting in the barn you can try, but it's a little smaller than what you're asking for.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Chaulk, you got a real talent at boat building :thumbup:

I have a 16hp go devil, but I am a long way from where you are.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

MudDucker wrote:Chaulk, you got a real talent at boat building :thumbup:

I have a 16hp go devil, but I am a long way from where you are.
Appreciate the offer I lived in Moultrie all of 34 years, until a year and a half ago
bman

Post by bman »

I have a 5hp crawfish model Go Devil. It may be a little underpowerd with it - but I'd drive down with it just for the fun of trying out the boat.
Or come up to me- we are near lake Jackson

Better Idea- I'll bring it to the dinner on the 25th. We can take it out in the SOP!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I don't believe the boat will be finished by then bman....I got a few more yards of fiberglass and gallons of epoxy to go before I can even think about a wet test... :thumbup: :thumbup: