question about tandem yaks

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

stevo

question about tandem yaks

Post by stevo »

So I've had my eyes on a kayak for over a year now and I've finally made the decision to get one. My goal is to have it by June 1 - but really as soon as possible. After everything I've read , I'm pretty much set on getting a hobie kayak with the mirage drive. My main question is the fishability of a tandem yak compared to 2 solos. Basically the choice is between the Hobie Outiftter and 2 Hobie outbacks (or similar). The main difference I'm seeing is the cargo space. On a solo yak there is plenty of room for all your fishing gear, cooler, etc. But looking at the Hobie Outfitter there are 2 hatches and then just a bit of cargo space behind the rear seat.

Does anyone have any input on the fishability of a tandem yak? Is the price trade off worth it; getting 2 outbacks instead of 1 outfitter? Will I be cramped for space in a tandem?
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

The weight is an issue if you have to put the kayak on top of a car etc. They're not just heavy but awkward. You know your own answer to that.
In general I see your question as one of those "what will you do with it most" situations. No kayak will do it all so a lot of people recommend that you prioritize your choice by what you'll do most. Again, you know your own answer to that. The site that helped me a lot is:
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/ . They have great reviews that consider the question(s) you’re asking. I lean strongly toward simplicity as much as possible. Anything I have to outfit my kayak with has the potential to get in the way of why I’m in it.
Fish.
If it’s not essential then I already sold in a yard sale.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I just read my post & thought I should mention what I think is essential.

2 fishing rods -no rod holders
minimal tackle (in a big zip lock)
forecips/pliers/knife/scissors
life jacket/whistle
anchor
paddle
water
sun screen

It's taking too long to pack. That's it, nothing else.

Ok, food bars, flash light & a change of clothes stored in the hatch.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

I was looking at 'yaks about a year or so back and one of the conclusions I came to was that a tadem has less stowage per person than two singles. This does not include all makes and models, just seemed like a general impression I got.

Another thing is if you are going to make any solo trips a single will be easier to handle.
Billy Miller

Post by Billy Miller »

Stevo,
In addition to what Lit has said, I recommend paddling a few kayaks before purchasing one. The Wilderness Way on Woodville Highway rents Hobies, and several other models. Make sure whatever you buy is right for you. My .02.
Billy
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

stevo

Post by stevo »

Thanks. I'll probably rent one from wilderness way soon before I make the purchase, but you're right lit - I won't be needing too much stuff. You basically covered it there.

Well, whenever I get one, y'all will know.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

The good think about the 130T is you can sit in teh middle when you fish by yourself.
stevo

Post by stevo »

I suppose the 1 major downside to fishing in a tandem with 2 people is that I wouldn't feel comfortable casting a fly with my wife sitting in front of me. I'd probably hook her in the eye. I suppose I could take the fly rod out when I'm alone.