Aucillia Exploring -

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Aucillia Exploring -

Post by mjsigns »

Spent the day fishing with my daughter. Got the boat in the water at 7:00 am. The plan was to go to Peters Rock and pull in some sheepies. Water temp in the river was a chilly 54 degrees. On the way out we stopped at the trout hole no bites, no rocks but a beautiful sunrise.
After 15 minutes we made the run to Peters Rock area and again no bites. Gas gage only showed ¼ tank so I was conservative in my search for rocks. Somehow I just couldn’t find either the rocks or any fish so after 15 minutes we headed back toward the mouth of the Pinhook and the Opening of West Pass. Since it the tide was now at dead low I soon found the rocks.
(look out - below) N30 05.653 W84 00.744 (rocks surrounded this one in almost every direction for 15 yards…:o

Got in the skinny and gave the motor a break after making contact with a few more rocks. Push – poled 2.6 miles through the skinny area all the way back into the west pass. (My shoulders are still sore from this)
Stopped briefly on an oyster bar to explore (and rest). The 5mph wind had died leaving the waters slick and tranquil.

Found my way into an old familiar creek and hit a few holes without a bite. Went up my favorite creek ,on a rising tide, poled almost all the way to the tree line. Spotted three BIG redfish and harassed them for a while. Water temp up the creek was 64 degrees. Found my self in some silt shallow waters and had to use the motor to get out. Within a minute or two the motor had over-heated and we had t stop. It was early afternoon now and we were slowly working our way back to the ramp. Run a while, fish a while…Around 2pm the fish started to bite, and the tide was really coming in quickly. Picked off a few pup sheepies….

Off the water by 4pm, called ahead and ordered dinner to go from the Sein Yard and picked it up on the way home after a good engine flushing at the ramp in Newport. (Impeller seems to be fine, still has a good srong pee stream :wink: )

I am looking forward to those dark-thirty Saturday mornings on the flats, limiting on Trout and getting Spanish on the side and that occasional bluefish. This fishing trip was just fishing, exploring new areas and planning a spring time strategy, but most of all just spending quality time with my daughter. (She took all the pictures) I Could not have spent a day any better... :smt006
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Good day, M.J. Thanks for the report and the pictures. :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Nice outing. Keep thakin that girl. She'll remember it forever. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Sounds like an adventure! :thumbup:
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Shoot Mike, ya done good. Most of us know, fish in the box is just icing on the cake. The pictures are great, particularly the sunrise.
Thanks for the report. :D
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

As always MJ nice pictures. Sounds like yall had fun! :thumbup:
bman

Post by bman »

Great Photos and great post :thumbup: :thumbup:
The first photo is my new walpaper on the house laptop.

Tell me about your push poll- looks like PVC.
Did you make it?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

Memories are made from a trip like this. I love that place, the Aucilla River. WTG :D
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I think it's going to be a while before I get back down to the Aucillia river. I can't wait for the water temps to rise and the Trout start running on the flats.

I have a description of my (poor-mans) push pole since bman asked, I hunted and found a pretty good description on how to make the pole here: http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... Lowe's+pvc

I'm going to let my daughter handle the camera when she comes along with me. She takes more pictures :thumbup:

Here's her fist shot of the Aucillia Sunrise from the "Trout Hole"..
This might make a better desk-top shot...

MJ
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

Nice pictures! What kind of camera do you have?

Bailey :beer:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I use a reconditioned point and shoot Kodak 3.2mp (model CX ? something) camera. It has done me well and cost less than $100. It have seen it bounce across my deck while on plane through a rough chop. It's gotten wet a time or two and I was quick to dry it out and remove the batteries. Iv'e dropped it countless times and the think keeps on delivering me quality images. I didn't know one could ever be so luck with a camera (I'm knocking on wood now) :-D

Check here, I saw a 3.2mp for $84-
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier. ... -path=4177

If I ever destroy or loose the one(s) I have, I'll get another Kodak :thumbup:
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Hey MJ - I checked out your pvc push pole. I don't have it any more, but I made me one real similar as I'm not gonna pay $200 or whatever they cost either. It worked fine for my purposes which was primarily to get unstuck without getting my feet wet.

Also, thanks for the report and the pics. I have a 10 year old daughter that I've occassionally hoodwinked into going out with dad. I'll always have some very special memories from those trips but look forward to making more :thumbup:
T Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by T Smith »

Nice pics MJ, tell your daughter she takes great pictures.

The one she took of the sunrise is now my desktop background at work.
If a sunrise coming up over the flats doesn't help you relax I don't know what will. Other than actually being there yourself of course.
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Mike!

I logged on here to show my new secretary what a "forum" was. I wanted her to use them in our work, though unfortunately we can't use a fishin' forum--even the best one that this is--for that, though. Yet this is the best all around, right!

So, I went to "inshore," and wouldn't you know this post of yours was right on top.

Well, I want you to know that, to me, it is magnificent! I have been tied up with a lot going on at the same time, lately; and to see your post, and wonderful pics, was something really special.
Keep up the good work!

Oh, and it sure reminded me of some awesome times! One time, a week after catchin' a bunch of reds off Big Redfish Point, to the west of the river mouth, I returned at the same time of day, using my gps. I went to the same exact spot, and it was so entirely different in appearance that I thought my gps was broken! It was low tide this second time, and the rocks I hadn't seen before were all sticking up out of the water. It was foggy, a bit, too; and it looked like another planet!

My great luck to start the day today with the Aucilla and my first fishin' related post since maybe September, or even August! :thumbup:
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

Flew in from Tampa yesterday and had a perfect view of the Econfina, Aucilla and Pinhook. That sure is a big limerock excavation up toward Cabbage Grove.