St. Marks Fishing Report 2-18-06

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FSU_Tom

St. Marks Fishing Report 2-18-06

Post by FSU_Tom »

Well,
My wife and I decided to go out Sat. and try some public numbers to catch a grouper or two. First off, if i ever get to the boat ramp and there is heavy fog like there was last saturday, i will just pack it up and head back to the house. You take your life in your hands on the water when there is 10 feet visibility. A smarter man would have known better, but I had a chartplotter so I wasnt very worried. What i forgot about was all of the people on the water that didnt have chartplotters!!! It is just a matter of time before someone cuts in front of you and causes a accident.

Anyway, we went out to the 24'barge site, and it looked like good structure, and the depthfinder showed fish, but no hookups. We then trolled over to OAR2K, with no luck again. At OAR2K, the structure looked excellent, and we caught 2 short gags, with one major hookup that got away. Then we moved over to the Wakulla Reef and had no luck.

-Did anyone have sucess last weekend? Everyone i saw at the boat ramp was as dissapointed as we were :(

Tom
grouperboy
Site Sponsor

Post by grouperboy »

Well. at least you got out....

I rode on a tractor all day, getting ready for turkey season.
gypsea

Post by gypsea »

How does a chart plotter help you in the fog? We got caught out there about 3 weeks ago but the fog didn't come in till we were fishing 5 miles out. It closed in like a circle, slowly shrinking till visibility was down to about 25'. It was my first time in it. Kinda scary. Drove real slow with wife manning the air horn. I figured about the only thing that would help was radar. :o
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Good you got out, we had about the same luck.
FSU_Tom

Post by FSU_Tom »

THE ONLY WAY THE CHARTPLOTTER HELPED US WAS TO KNOW WHERE THE CHANNEL RAN. THE FOG WAS SO DENSE THAT YOU COULDNT SEE THE NEXT BOUY.