Econfina 01/31/03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Econfina 01/31/03

Post by Sir reel »

Greetings,

The story goes like this.... Took today off. Wife, Dog, and Me lauched around 1:30pm. High tide around 2:30. Ran the river to the tripod. Someone has placed some well needed channel markers toward the mouth. PVC with red and green markers. Don't know who did it but Thanks to them!! Even with the warmer weather in the past couple of days don't expect it to be any warmer running on the water, it was very cool :o My plan was to run towards rock island and then out South where it is reported to have some structure in 10 to 15 ft.

Well boys and girls... as Paul Harvey says, heres the rest of the story. When I reached a point mid way between the two bird rack/platforms I could NOT SEE EITHER ONE :roll: !! We were met by Sea Fog rolling in from off shore. At that point I decided that the conditions might not be ideal for "explor'n" :idea: so we headed back in towards shore (which all of a sudden was missing!! ) We stopped briefly at one spot in about 8ft just so we could say we'd fished and the fog just got worse. We pulled up and headed in.... Thank God for Mr Garmin and his bread trail on my 152. When we reached the tripod you could not see any shore line. Let me tell you that's a scary feeling. Again, if it had not been for the bread trail I would probably be tied up to the tripod right now until the fog lifted enough to see where the channel was (could have been a long night!!) :lick:

The wind and waves were not bad at all. If it had not been for the sea fog coming in the conditions would have been just fine. Wind was starting to pick up some as we left. The fog was just reaching the store at the landing when we left. When we got to Hwy 98 there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the sun was shinning. We headed west and when we crossed the Aucila we ran into fog again. I guess the rivers are suck'n the stuff off the gulf. Anyway it was a good learning experience and not much sacrifice involved which when considered all around it was a good trip!!

I pulled the boat into the back yard and left everything hooked up so may try it tomorrow. Was hoping today would work because the crowd at the lauch would not be much to deal with. I would say there were maybe 6 or 8 today. Coast to Coast charters was still out with a party and had been reported to be in the area of Rock Island. Hope they have a trail home. We hadn't heard anything from them on the radio so guess they were OK.

All for now...got to go wash down the boat just a little. :D
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

glad you got back safe,
The gulf can throw some wild things your way.
GPS has safed me a few times.
Get them tomorrow
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Ya gotta love a GPS. Best thing that ever happened to a fisherman, worst if it fails.
What was I supposed to do today?