Mama's First Striper

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Charles
Site Sponsor

Mama's First Striper

Post by Charles »

Got the whole crew loaded up, the wife, two kids and yours truly. After a brief, mid-morning, stop at Jerry's for live shiners, ice and some lighter wire, circle hooks, we proceeded on to Newport. Put in at the park and went up, against the wind and current, to a spot the little one and I pre-fished yesterday, where I thought we had the best prospect of being out of the wind and catch fish. One thing I learned is that a bait bucket that will keep 2 dozen shiners alive and frisky won't keep 3 dozen, and if you try, you will still only have 2 dozen alive.

The bass bite was slow. The little one hooked up with a 13 incher and later a short. We ate snacks, played around, drank sodas, watched the otter on the other side of the river. Then the wife got a bite. Now, we've got three, 6 lb., spinning outfits, no leaders, light wire circle hooks, live lining shiners, expecting bass up to about 2 lbs.
The wife says, "Honey, help me. This is a big fish."
So I tell her, "It's your fish, just keep your rod tip up and pump and wind."
The fish runs, then turns and runs up into shallow water, turns again and runs back out deep and stays there through most of the ten minute fight. By now the other lines are cleared and the wife is fighting her fish while listening to:
"Mama's got the creature from the Black Lagoon."
"I think we're gonna' need a bigger boat."
"Shoulda' brought a SCUBA tank and a rifle."
"There's no way she can take down three barrels."
Now the fish is back up in the shallows and I'm guessing big mudfish. Then I think I see spots and I'm thinking, "If that's a trout, it might be some kind of record."
Mama asks for the landing net. Of course I didn't bring one, why would you need a net to catch bass? :smt017 :smt011
Now I can positively ID the fish, it's coming to the boat, and I'm wondering if you can lip a striper.
"Just do it," I tell myself. "All you have to do is get it in the boat and lay on it."
Something else I learned today:
You can lip a striper.

Now we have a new problem. He's too big to fit in my 52 qt. cooler and if he flops out of the cooler there's a good chance he will be over the side.
I rig an extra rope into a stringer, tie one end to his lower jaw and the other to a thwart. Strip my t-shirt off, soak it in the river and use it to cover the fish.

We fished a little longer, but since we weren't doing much anyway, we decided to start back to the ramp and hit Subway on the way to Jerry's to show Scott what his bait did for Mama. :-D

That's the spinning rod she used, leaning against the wall.

L-30"
G-20"
W-14 lbs. (on Scott's scale) :D
Last edited by Charles on March 27th, 2006, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Re: Mama's First Striper

Post by birddog »

Charles Pulley wrote:"There's no way she can take down three barrels."
Now thats funny right there. :lol:

Great story, Charles. Glad ya'll had fun. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice Phish....and story... :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

amazing... my wife can't believe y'all fish from a canoe
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
bman

Post by bman »

Charles-

That is awesome!! :smt041

I have never caught one that big!

Glad they dont have teeth......
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Bet that was a blast on that rod. Nice fish :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

"I think we're gonna' need a bigger boat."
:smt005

Great Report Charles :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

WOW what a stripper !!!!

MJ
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

RodBow wrote:amazing... my wife can't believe y'all fish from a canoe
That reminds me of a new thing we tried, that I left out of the report. Something I've been thinking about.

When we got to where we were going to fish we rafted the two canoes together. Then sank stake out poles in the bottom, between the boats, at the bow and stern. This worked very well for holding the boats in position to fish a specific area and didn't let them swing with the wind and current. The two boats tied tightly together, balance each other and make a nice relatively stable platform.

We left them tied together for the paddle back down to the ramp. This set up handles well enough. They'll track straight as long as the paddlers apply power equally on both sides. One paddler can be in the bow, or both in the stern, but at least one needs to be in the stern for steering.

I think this rig might pole okay by a single person. I might try that, next time we go. Think I'll also try the electric motor on this rig.
Last edited by Charles on March 27th, 2006, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Sweet fish and great story :thumbup: :-D
weaver brown

Post by weaver brown »

Good fish Bud.

I did a canoe trip on the Choctawhatchee with a fellow a long time ago. We spent a couple of nights. He told me about fishing with a cousin in Louisiana. Hiis cousin had a nice bass boat with built in tackle boxes and built in coolers and bait wells and all that stuff. He said it was a fine boat. When he finished telling me about it he said "I hate a damn boat I can't scull." He used a C clamp and a U bolt and a 2x6 to make a sculling platform to the side of his canoe. You might figure out a similar arrangement to tie 2 canoes together and put a small motor in the middle. Using the C clamps you could undo it and just use one canoe when you wanted to.

My grandson brought a girl home for supper Friday night. She is a displaced person from Katrina. She lives in a 30 foot travel trailer with her Aunt and 2 cousins. We had fresh fried mullet for supper. She said "white people don't eat mullet where I come from." I said "Well."
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Nice report and dang nice fish Charley. I first thought it was one what was gonna get away. Good deal and probably good eatin. :D
Bakertize
Site Sponsor

Post by Bakertize »

sweet catch for mama :thumbup: :thumbup:
you maight want to insall that fighting chair if you all keep catch'n those monster fish :-D
Robert Baker
TnT Hide-a-way inc.
http://www.tnthideaway.com
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

sweet fish and story. nothing else to say :-)
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
BlueDrifter

Newport

Post by BlueDrifter »

Do you mean Newport News Va (sic)or could that be Newport of the St. Marks river fame?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Good writeup, and good for MAMA. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?