3-29-06

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pennfish

3-29-06

Post by pennfish »

We went through east pass at 7am,first stop was yamaha and fished all over it with nary a bite eased over to O tower got a few bites on a drift so decided to anchor beside it. Started catching real nice snapper and grouper that were just short, finaly put a 23er in the box a few more snaps and short groups, then the hog hit me hard pinned me to the gunnel and it was on, after some serious gruntin a 32in 20lb gag lay on the floor of the boat :thumbup:. We stayed a little longer and decided to run to some numbers in 45ft, on the way a turtle gave up a nice patch of rocks where we landed some more shorts and saved a good waypoint. Last stop was at a rock ledge in 45ft where some more just short gags were released, landed a 26in redfish and a 8lb gag and headed home. The bait of choice were northern macks, the water temps were 66. I needed that :-D
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Sounds like a blast, Pennfish. Sea turtles are great at revealing good grouper holes. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I say this every year when it comes up but just so you know..

If you catch a keeper redfish in federal waters you are NOT allowed to keep it.

Nice gag BTW. I just hope those snaps stay around for the next 22 days. :-D
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

WTG :thumbup: :thumbup: ....I hear Cobia can be indicators of bottom structure as well, anyone else heard or seen that to be true in the open water......
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

:smt017 sorry it may have come across that the red was put in the box when in reality I know the regs and the fish was released :thumbup:
GrouperGuru

Post by GrouperGuru »

Chalk wrote:WTG :thumbup: :thumbup: ....I hear Cobia can be indicators of bottom structure as well, anyone else heard or seen that to be true in the open water......
Cobia move, but I've definitely found cobia hanging around structure in the spring (late April-early May). Not sure you would ever see a cobe like you would a turtle while running 35 mph though.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Over the past few months, every time we hit the grouper holes, there is a huge sea turtle there to greet us. Sometimes "he" comes right to the boat. Not real sure about how accurate it is to say that they "mark" grouper holes, but it is interesting that they are there quite consistently.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I think those turtles sleep at ledges on the bottom and they apparently don't go far once they get surfaced. That is what I have heard.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Nice report Penn. Thanks :D
pennfish

Post by pennfish »

Here is a picture of that Grouper
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

If you will hold that fish out towards the camera it will make it look big. (just kidding, that is a big gruppa)
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?