Going to big bend area 4/13-4/17 need advice

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

Thanks for the information, I think I will definately do some major research before I sell my boat.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Tennessee,
You'll be pretty close to Wefings Marine in Eastpoint when you're down at SGI. Go talk to Marc Grove. He'll talk to you all you want about boats. He doesn't carry the Sea Pro like Steve's but he could probably answer some questions.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Tennessee wrote:Will it hurt my boat if I leave it in the water for four days and just rinse it off, and out when I leave? I tell you what, I have seriously thought about selling the Ranger and buying a bay boat. I was talking to a guy at Steinhatchee and he said you really needed about four different types of boats to enjoy all the fishing in that area.
If you keep your boat at Scipio Creek, you are in brackish water, which will help clean some of the salt out of your motor. You would do well to at least rinse your boat and gear off with a hose each evening to knock off the worst of the salt spray. If you want to freshwater fish you can head up the Apalachicola River (this is what you enter to get to the bay from Scipio Creek) rather than down and turn into Lake Wilmco. There are bass there.

Personally, I advise getting a guide for the first day to get a lay of the land. Be careful in Apalachicola Bay. It is full of oyster bars. Just take it easy until you know your way around.

Have a great trip!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Tennessee wrote:Steve, I know this may seem like a stupid question, but am I right to think that the bay boats run in much shallower water than lets say my bass boat? I was on spring break two weeks ago down in Lafitte, La fishing the Dupont ponds for Reds. There was this Bay boat come into the area and he could not have been running in more than a foot of water. I was having a hard time in there with my motor up, and just running my trolling motor. Does your 2100 have a big deck up front, and a poling platform in the rear, is your boat to small to go out and fish for grouper? If I have time I am going to do a little research why I am there as to what I might need.
Ten. the boat you see in my sig. is my Bass/Flats/Grouper fishing boat :-D it is a 17.5 aluminum Bass boat with a 40 Yammy on it! I can run in 6 inches of water "WOT" and go out 20 miles off shore on the right days :o All it takes is experience in learning your boat and keeping an eye on the weather to do all of these things with your boat "though yours is to heavy ta run as shallow as mine" :smt004 :thumbup: and a fresh water boat will not last nearly as long as one made for fresh if used in salt :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

OK, I'll jump in here.

Tennessee, from what I've observed, the 520 is a flatter running boat than most bass boats. I have an older 20 ft. Champion. It takes near 3 ft. of water to get it out of the hole. I wouldn't consider taking it where I red fish. I also have a Key West 186 Bay Boat. However, I don't have the tabs on mine. Without the tabs it takes a little over 2ft. of water to get it out of the hole. The Champion will run in a foot of water........as long as I have the guts to stay in it. The bay boat will run in about 1.5 ft. of water. Te problem with these, or any larger boat, is when you have to stop.

Steve's Sea Pro is a fine boat. So are the others he mentioned. If you're partial to Ranger, they make bay boats, and crossover boats. Skeeter also makes a line of very nice bay boats.

All that said, no boat will do it all. That's where my 15 ft. skiff boat comes into play. That's my skinny water boat.

Scipio Creek Marina would probably be the ideal place for you to keep your boat. Mudducker mentioned the water at Scipio is brackish. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Depends on how extreme the tides are, and how much rain we've had. Regardless, the water in the area isn't going to be healthy for your Ranger trailer. Scipio will probably pick the boat up and put it in the water for you, and take it out and set it back on the trailer when you're done.

As for the bass fishing, you can start right there in Scipio Creek. I've won 2 tournaments in that creek. If you go to the mouth of the creek and turn left, back up river, there's all the bass fishing you can stand from the mouth of Scipio up as far as you want to go. About 4 miles up river, the Apalach actually makes a right turn. If you continue straight at the confluence, you're in the Jackson River. There are several small creeks along the Jackson River. Don't be afraid to venture in them. About 6 miles up the Jackson River is Lake Wimico. It's pretty darn good this time of year.

As for the saltwater fishing, with a 520 you can fish East Bay, the back side of St. George, The back side of Dog Island, the back side of St. Vincents, and on to Indian Pass.

The channel is marked in the Apalach. It is not marked in the Jackson. Stay in the center. There is a marked channel through Wimico. You can run most places in wimico. There are a few hazards, but not many.

There is a marked channel from Apalach to St. George. About half way out that channel there is a marked channel that runs easterly, behind St. George and Dog Island. If you get very far out of these channels, or near shore, look out for the oyster bars.

You'll have more fishing at your disposal than you'll ever be able to cover. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.
What was I supposed to do today?
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

Thanks, you folks have been wonderful, I can't thank the people on here enough for helping me out with this trip. I am going to print all of this information and take it with me. If I can get on a computer down there I will try to give some reports.
Knot Tester

Post by Knot Tester »

Download Google Earth and check out the area. St. George Island is a minimum of 7.5 miles from Scipio Creek Marina by water.
Bass boat won't cut it for going grouper digging.
Every time I come down, the waves know I'm coming and kick it up. Anything over 1' and I would not attempt it in a bass boat.

Yes.. call me chicken :smt117
Better off chicken than sinking.

Steve Stinson ..There is a closer ramp on St. George if you decide to keep your boat on the trailer at your rental house.
Where is this closer ramp on St. George. I would Like to know also.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

It is on St. George Island before you get to the State Park entrance on your left (Bay side of the Island).

- Steve