Chugbug -

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Checking the antenna would be a good thing...but if your not receiving anything... I'd be suspicious that there may be something else going on... Even without the antenna hooked up I can receive the weather channels.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Not sure what radio you have, but you need to press weather button and then you have ten channels to choose from....the normal VHF channels are not on the same frequency....press the WX button and scroll through the channels....weather should be easily picked up....mine does get garbled if the battery charger is on and near the radio...I tore half the boat apart trying to figure that one out :roll: :lol:
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Per Chug's instructions earlier in this thread, I hit the WX button last night. The radio immediately went to channel 8, but I can not hear anything. I also tried all the other channels from 8 down to 1.

The power to the radio is fine, static occurs until I increase the squelch.

I will keep at it until I figure the problem out. I have another antenna in the garage, but it is missing the end connector for the radio. I will pick up another connector and try swapping out the antennas.

Thanks for all the help here and keep the suggestions coming.
- Steve Stinson
Knot Tester

Post by Knot Tester »

Sounds like a short in the antenna.

Disconnect antenna and see if you still get static. Test with handheld. If it doesn't work with the handheld, then the radio is bad.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Test with handheld. If it doesn't work with the handheld, then the radio is bad.
:smt017
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Steve Stinson wrote:Here's the deal -
No weather or any other chatter on any channel.
I can communicate with both ways with somebody else operating my handheld VHF on any channel.

Any suggestions? Anybody know how to check an antenna?

Thanks - Steve
Are you saying that you can talk to someone who is on a handheld , and they can talk back to you on the fixed radio in the boat :smt017
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Yes - My wife took my handheld VHF across the front yard and both radios transmitted and received clearly.

- Steve
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I have no idea what could be wrong with it. It worked when I took it off my boat. Granted, I haven't used it in some time. Can an antenna go bad just sitting?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Chug -
Don't worry about it. I will try the second antenna I have and keep messing with it until I figure it out.
I removed the 4 inch piece of cable from the old antenna contector you gave me and re-used the connector. That could be the problem as well.
The reason I think it may be the antenna is that the radio gets power, statics, and seems to work fine.
I have also heard that you can not coil an antenna cable within a certain number of feet from the antenna itself? Anyone else know anything about this? If true, the antenna cable being bunched up under my console could be the problem. I have the antenna and radio both mounted on the console, so I have about 10' more antenna cable than I need.

- Steve Stinson
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Some good Q&A about VHF mounting here Steve :thumbup: :beer:
http://www.catfleet21.org/rigging/June.htm
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

The Radio Demons have been Exorcised...

Post by Steve Stinson »

Just came in from the garage. Starting with the easiest fix first I began messing with the radio antenna. The website Wevans posted above says the antenna has to be at least 3' from the radio, so I unbolted the antenna bracket, pulled out some extra cable and stuck the antenna in the rear rod holder temporarily. No improvement in the radio reception.

Removed the antenna cable from the back of the radio, cut the end connector off and re-stripped the cable. Reinstalled the connector (same antenna). Turned the radio back on and the weather report came in loud and clear. :thumbup:

With the computer voice anouncing the weather and tides, I pulled the antenna back out of the rear rod holder and slowly moved it back to the bracket on the console. Still had the weather coming in loud and clear, so I threaded the locknut and handle back on and left it there.

The only thing I can figure is that I did not have a good contact on the coax connector.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now that I have the radio, motor, and every other accessory in the boat running off my only battery, the next project will be installing a dual battery system and a Perko switch. I am sure I will have another round of questions once I obtain all the necessary parts.

I plan to hit the water Friday with a client and one of my employees on board. I will post a report when we return.

Good Fishin' and thanks again for the help.
- Steve Stinson
tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: The Radio Demons have been Exorcised...

Post by tin can »

Steve Stinson wrote:Removed the antenna cable from the back of the radio, cut the end connector off and re-stripped the cable. Reinstalled the connector (same antenna). Turned the radio back on and the weather report came in loud and clear. :thumbup:
Steve, if you have the same connector I have, the center wire (conductor) should be soldered. Makes all the difference in the world.
What was I supposed to do today?
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

Well I sure am glad that it works. Be sure to post a report.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Chug - Thanks, I'll let you know how I do.

Tin Can - I am afraid to take it back apart at this time. The connector is the Shakespeare one that came with the antenna. I may buy another connector and see if I can get my second antenna to work. It is a 8' Galaxy. The cable and antenna diameter on the Galaxy seems to be a little larger, so it may be a better antenna.

Thanks - Steve
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Seems I recall when I bought my Galaxy, the directions specified soldering the conductor into the pin in the connector. Good luck. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?