Rod Handle Question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Short Strike
Site Sponsor

Rod Handle Question

Post by Short Strike »

The Mrs. :smt061 has a spinning rod that the handle behind the reel is too long and bumps her uh...uh...chest :oops: when she casts. I told her to modify her casting technique. She said "NO" :smt018. I told her to buy a new rod and she told me she likes the "action" of that one and just wants the handle a little shorter.

Has anyone shortened a rod handle? Can it be done without compromising the integrity or "action" of the rod? If so, how?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
--Doug Larson
dogonenuts

I would hate to take a saw to a nice spinning rod.......

Post by dogonenuts »

A plastic surgeon can be of help, though a little expensive. This may turn the clock back a little too!

Nuts
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

You can do it fairly easily. Just cut it off where you want it. I've done it because I hate rods that are 7 feet and they put the extra 6 inches on the butt.

Way I do is take some foam and stuff into the blank then put a couple of ounces of lead in then more foam or cork then epoxy the end. The lead helps to offset the reel weight since you just changed the rod's center of gravity.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Short Strike, bring the rod by the house and we'll fix it. I've modified several. Nothin to it.
What was I supposed to do today?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

tin can wrote:Short Strike, bring the rod by the house and we'll fix it. I've modified several. Nothin to it.
He better bring the wife with him so you can measure how short the rod must be to avoid collision with the obstacles :-D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

MudDucker wrote:
tin can wrote:Short Strike, bring the rod by the house and we'll fix it. I've modified several. Nothin to it.
He better bring the wife with him so you can measure how short the rod must be to avoid collision with the obstacles :-D
Short Strike, Mud may be on to something. Bring Ms. L. with ya, and we'll make the handle the length she wants. And tell her this one won't cost her anything. :-D :wink:
What was I supposed to do today?
Short Strike
Site Sponsor

Post by Short Strike »

Hay Nuts,
That might compromise my "action". :smt009

Hay TC,
I like your idea better. :thumbup:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
--Doug Larson
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

Can I come over and watch :o
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

I take a saw to most of my handles as soon as I get the rods....
no problem with action....makes rods much easier for me to fish with my small hands, short arms and excessive girth. :o
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.