We went,we fished,we lost

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

We went,we fished,we lost

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Brother Butch and I showed up a Carrabelle River ramp at 6 am Friday for the first day of the BBSC. What a beautiful day it was,slight breeze and overcast. Perfect for topwater trout fishing. First fish in the boat about 6:30. From then on it was nonstop quality trout. We released 4 limits of trout over 18-23 and several more limits from 15-18. Only caught 1 short trout in 2 days of fishing.
While redfish were not on the tournament species list,we caught and released 10 reds to 25" only 1 short red. We also caught spanish,ladyfish,blues,ladyfish,flounder,ladyfish,sailcats,ladyfish,croakers,ladyfish,cobia,ladyfish.
We came in early Friday to rest midday during the heat. About 4 o'clock we weighed in for trout,spanish and sailcat. Then went back out for evening fishing. Shortly after arriving at some bars I hooked into a nice trout on topwater. A real bucket mouth,hogwallowing type of trout. She had no interest in coming closer than 50 feet of the boat.I would gain 2 feet of line she took 10 feet back. After 10-12 minutes of trying to coax her closer the repeated head jerking and wallowing took its toll. The hooks pulled. Oh well.
Saturday was a different story.Left the river headed into 3-4s in the bay.Took a hard right and went into a creek to look for sailcats and flounder and wait out the BREEZE.Midafternoon the wind laid down enough to venture back to the trout flats. The bite was fair on Saturday,nothing like Friday. Our biggest trout were barely 4 pounds. Not even close to the 6.05 it took to win the trout division.
The good news is we have 364 days to practice for next year.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Glad you got to chase them, Steve :thumbup: :thumbup:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Ya'll did good Steve. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

To bad you didn't catch any Ladyfish, I hear they can be a lot of fun to catch. :-D
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Sounds like it was a good day of catchin' even if it wasn't for winnin'. :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Woodburn

Post by Woodburn »

Too bad about the evening trout
I was hopeing to see ya'll up on the board
Did ya get any pictures by chance?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Sorry Woodburn in the heat of the moment didn't even think about pics.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Sorry Woodburn in the heat of the moment didn't even think about pics.
Can anybody remember ever seening a picture taken and posted by Jumptrout?? :roll: :o
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

It must be Butch that's so shy about them pictures... well I wouldn't want to be seen with JT either :o :o
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I'm convinced JT is too technically challenged to post a picture. :wink: :-D
What was I supposed to do today?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

It's hard enough just to take a picture,ask Eerman. :roll:
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

BUTCH'S PICTURE

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

I have a picture I took of Butch back in the early 70s on a big sailboat when we were in the Bahamas. He has not gotten any prettier, believe me.

I have the picture in my safe as a measure of national security.

Charlie
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

You can use his shirt for a mainsail now. :oops:
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

t's hard enough just to take a picture,ask Eerman.
You did a fine job of takin' the picture. We just have to teach you to let go of the button so we don't end up with five of the same picture. :wink:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."