SCALLOP TIME - ANY SEEN?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

fish on!! wrote:Amen BD. I am not trying to be dump on the scallopers, but scallop season tends to bring out the worst boaters in the world. Many have forgotten how to launch a boat and clog up the ramps, fishermen cant drift a flat because of scallopers anchored up with their dive flags out and boating courtesy tends to go out the window during scallop season. People who havent cared a bit about the gulf all year, load 15 people onto their pontoon boat and invade the waters that we fishermen hold dear. I am sure this doesnt pertain to all scallopers but there are enough of the bad ones out there to put a bad taste in my mouth for scallop season.
I just think of it as NW Florida's version of the lobster mini-season. :-D
Sea Gurl

Post by Sea Gurl »

BH

Being an avid scalloper I keep an eye out for the little critters.

Have seen nada nothing at St Marks - same as last year. :smt009

While fishing the St Joe tourney last month Wevans and I saw some in one area but nothing everywhere else we when - which was quite a few places.

Don't know about Eco/Keaton or Lanark - although Keaton/Dekkle seem to have good years pretty consistently.

And that's the truth!! :P

Sea Gurl
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Hey Ya'll Kindly People Trying To Help Each Other Out... :wink:
I haven't had any access online lately so sorry I couldn't chime in sooner. Early (very early, like April when they're thumbtack size) the St Joe reports looked good but I have not heard they are there in any numbers now. What I can say is that Lanark is a bust. I was all over and under it today and found none. I also trawled the area. None.
That said, I admit I'd lie if they were there so you may just have to take my word for it.
As to boating ethics and fisherman vs scallopers,
As much as it concerns me when inexperienced people get on boats (add beer??!!) I am really pleased that people get a first hand look at seagrass places when they're under water. That adds up to people making better decisions concering these places we care about.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I fish for myself and I scallop for my kids. Seems some folks is just plain prejudices against the scallopers. Ya'll need to quit hating. Remember, I gots a dream...a dream where all sportsman will be treated equally regardless of the watersport they choose or the size of their deck. The promise land is far away, but if we all begin, we can get there :smt005

I've seen fisherman being just as big of a azzwhip as scallopers. It is just a time when more folks are on the water and that almost always causes problems. You should be in either the Steinhatchee River or the Aucilla back in the day of the big trout and red runs. I've had folks throw their line over my boat to get to the hole I was fishing in. I let a guy do it twice with me netting his fish and handing it to him and told him that was enough. He chunked again and somehow his line parted. That magic trick made him think about doing it again.

Just remember folks, we all have a right to be in the outdoors and yes, we do have to look out for fools in boats, whether they are fishing, scalloping, cruising or just plain being stupid.

Ya'll have a safe and fun 4th of July :smt006
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Saw a small handfull at Aucilla last weekend. Hardly worth targeting them for an all day excursion.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

BlindHog wrote:Since we are all being playful with this thread, and I have accidentally hit some nerves --- here's a REAL debate starter:

Who has more rights to the ramp at Econ or Steinhatchee: a Georgia trout fisherman or a Florida scalloper?

(OK, just to fess up I consider myself a fisherman who scallops occasionally and I am a native Georgian who lives in Florida.) ;-)

P.s. Hooked Up, you are right on the money.
Nobody has any more "rights" than anyone else. However, it is normal and traditional for frequent users of any resource to feel they should have a bit more say (and are likely to care more) about using and protecting a resource than the guy that comes out a couple of times a year to assault the flats with a crew of ten on the pontoon boat. What we have are obligations to everyone that is on a ramp or uses the resource, as we do to the resource itself.

Again, no more "rights" are owned by anyone, just the natural way people feel. I use the ramp quickly and skillfully, because I practiced and feel an obligation to others. Likewise, I use the resource the same way, taking care not to upset other boaters, minding my limits, being careful to release alive and well anything I don't need, getting training, wearing my PFD and kill switch so I do not have to get myself rescued, and not digging up seagrass with my motor or feet. I obey the rules, don't act like a jackass on the water, and know what I am doing. That's because I care, and I take the time to care.

That isn't so for a heck of a lot of other people on the ramp or on the water, no matter what they drive. On the other hand, pontoon boats carrying a dozen scallopers that can barely swim much less understand marine issues doesn't tend to produce a good outcome. Likewise, most folks driving jetskiis are out there to act crazy because that is what the machines are basically set up to do. Doesn't mean it has to be that way, but it normally is.

So, there is my two cents.

EJ
Woodburn

Post by Woodburn »

HookedUp wrote:
birddog wrote:What Chalk said. :thumbup:

However, I still can't see why anybody go through all the trouble to pick up the aggrevating things and get so little to eat. :wink: :lol:
Ain't that the truth. I went one time a long time ago, and that is the most work for the least payoff I ever seen. 5 of us worked for hours and after cleaning, which also took hours, we had this little bowl full, with everybody lookin like, "This ain't gonna feed all of us"....

Hooked :o

It's about the hunt, the ritual, the process... you guys should know that
:wink:
gatorgirl

Post by gatorgirl »

ITA Mud, we scallop with the kids because they so patiently endure our fishing all year! Have a happy and safe holiday weekend everybody, however you spend it!

Hi Pops and Eileen, call us if you're out on the water this weekend!
Go Gators!!
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

gatorgirl
i thought that was you
we are going to econfina on sunday, saturday is corn day
i have all next week off ;-)
GO GATORS!!
If it does not meet your standards, Lower your standards!!
gatorgirl

Post by gatorgirl »

Hey Pops!

Sharon and Hubert are coming in town Saturday. Mark and Bert are fishing Sat afternoon, and we're all going out Sunday. Mark, Kenzie and I will be down at the Aucilla river Sun, Mon, Tue. We'll call you on 14!!
Go Gators!!
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

HookedUp wrote:
birddog wrote:What Chalk said. :thumbup:

However, I still can't see why anybody go through all the trouble to pick up the aggrevating things and get so little to eat. :wink: :lol:
Ain't that the truth. I went one time a long time ago, and that is the most work for the least payoff I ever seen. 5 of us worked for hours and after cleaning, which also took hours, we had this little bowl full, with everybody lookin like, "This ain't gonna feed all of us"....

Hooked :o
Not much meat to them, but a shopvac sure makes cleaning them faster. :D
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

I've only seen a couple at St Marks but not really looking for them either. Still, I would be pretty surprised if its a good year for scallops at St. Marks.

If folks are courteous and safe, I'm happy to share the water regardless of the type of vessel or what they're doing. Hope everybody has a good weekend and 4th of July. :thumbup:
TheTotalPackage

Post by TheTotalPackage »

Hi all! This may be good news for all of you fisherman that are trying to scare off the scallopers, but here goes...

We swam and towed Lanark today for 3 hours. Water was very cloudy for the most part and we did not see a single live scallop.

We are opting to try a different locale all together for the family scallop outing.

Good luck to all!
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

I did see a few at Econfina on Tuesday. They were in deep water close to what used to be the bird rack....the one that is still partially remaining. Would see two to three together. Nothing spectacular, but more than I saw there last year.