Quest for a Tarpon from the yak

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

abcarias

Quest for a Tarpon from the yak

Post by abcarias »

I feel it guys. I'm getting closer. Went out yesterday (Turkey Point)

and blind cast my 10wt flyrod for Tarpon. This was the only taker.

This fish actually jumped twice..... big jumps (never seen a trout jump). Couldnt believe it. I forgot to weigh it but it was 23 inches plus. I have to admit I used white bait as chum and cast my fly into the slick(is that cheating?).

Caught a few small sharks on bait but other then that, very little action.

IM GOING AGAIN FRIDAY. THIS TIME TO MASHES SANDS. I WILL GET A NORTH FLORIDA TARPON FROM MY YAK THIS SEASON!!!
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
RonHarrison
Site Sponsor

Post by RonHarrison »

Nice take on the cast net! Nice trout too! I'm so jealous of the time you have for your quest! Go get 'em!
Ron Harrison
Tallahassee, Florida
2006 Hobie Outback Rigging Photo Album @ http://www.nettally.com/rharri/riggingredirect.htm .
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Pesistance will pay off then you can school the rest of us.
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Tarpon Time(?)

Post by Apalach »

Rx fisher said over on the Inshore Fishing Forum:
“The poon takes us back to the sandbar, after 1 & 1/2 hours and being dragged nearly 3 miles (per GPS) we are within leader range and call it a catch, now what.â€
abcarias

If....I mean when I hook into a Tarpon from the yak....

Post by abcarias »

If....I mean when I hook into a Tarpon from the yak.... I intend to put the heat on immediately. If it gets off or breaks the line...so be it. The further the fish gets from you in the beginning, the worse your chances of landing them and the longer the fight. Of course very few people can stop a 150 lb plus fish quickly. Still, I think if you fight them hard from the beginning, and you aren't under gunned on the equipment, it is possible to get at least close enough for a pic. I am hoping for a fish under 100 myself. They are fun to watch jump and you can always break them off after their areal display and before the sleigh ride gets too time consuming. Just a few thoughts from a nobody. I'm going after them in the morning (Mashes sands 6:00am). Then all the fish in the sea will be safe for a week! :roll:
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

You guys can do it. I saw the post about 1 1/2 too, and don't really understand that (no offense to to RX--that is an awesome story and I'm sure it was a sweet experience). I landed a 100-120 lb tarpoon from a 17 ft Hewes a few years back in Apachacola though, and it didn't take near that long (picture in my first post on this forum). Not because my equipment was huge or I horsed the fish either. I was fishing with a 4000 Stradic and we never fired the motor. I have also caught several 6ft, 100lb+ sharks from my Gheenoe in under half an hour (although these have been with a Penn 9500ss, 100lb power pro, and steel leaders). Definitely be careful, have a sea anchor or two, and preferrably another yak for stability and resistence. Don't loose faith though--keep trying. Check out the no motor zone @ floridasportsman.com. Cubs and some of the other guys have landed HUGE tarpoon from their yaks. Maybe they will provide some tips. Good luck
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.