dirty water

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ragansm1

dirty water

Post by ragansm1 »

With the water as acidic as it is what is the bait of choice? Also where have all the bigger trout gone, plenty of shorts but not many large fish?? Will be going to Steinhatchee area next week and could use some help on where and what to fish.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Hey Ragansm 1, Don't fish out of Steinhatchee, but back at Keaton. I do fish around Grassy Island which is closer to Steinhatchee than Keaton. My suggestion is Grassy Island area, shallow less than 4 foot, most likely a grub either red and yellow, chartruse and silver, without a Cajun Thunder, about 1/16 oz. jig head. Keep a live pin fish out under a CT for Mackeral and Cobia. They hang out a lot in this area.
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

CS,

When you go out of Keaton to that area, do you not have to run farther west before you turn back South. Shallower South than North.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Run to marker number one before you head South. You can run about anywhere you want even on low tide. Go to the outside of the South birdrack and around Piney point. It gets pretty shallow on the point, but it's all grass, no rocks or bars to worry about. After you pass the point you can see Grassy Island.
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Thanks.. I usually go North, but may try South one of these days.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Water is always cleaner South. By July it will be almost too clear. It's also has some deep grass beds out to 10 foot. In the heat of the summer, that's the only place you can depend on.
Semper Fi
ragansm1

Post by ragansm1 »

Has the water started to clear up any? Do you go to the birdrack north of Steinhatchee around grassy?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I fish mostly from Piney Point to Big Grassy. The water is clearing up by Keaton and the Point, don't know about Steinhatchee. I'll be in that area Sat. and Sun., if your there give me a holler on the radio.
Semper Fi
ragansm1

Post by ragansm1 »

Might be there on Sat. but will be going the next week most of the week.Will yell at ya. Was there last Friday and had a 13 in. Trout on and was bringing it in and got a hit on it and brought in a head. Something big out there.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I know a fellow who caught a 39 inch King right in that area last year, fishing for trout. Many years ago I hung a tarpon there that would weigh close to 75 pounds. Took all my line off. The biggest Cobia I've ever caught (42 Ibs) I caught right there. Also saw a 7 foot Tiger Shark there last July. :o There are some large critters in that area.
Semper Fi