Tandem Kayak Suggestions

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Saltwater4me

Tandem Kayak Suggestions

Post by Saltwater4me »

Not to start a great debate, but I am in the market for a tandem kayak. I have always liked the idea of fishing from a yak and have rented them at St. Joe. I need something that is practical and fairly economical (Less than $1000). The tandem is a must because of the wife's interest in paddling some of the rivers in our area. However, it must be fishable when the time comes. Comfort and room for all of my junk are my highest priorities. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:
"Support the country you live in OR live in the country you support!!!!"
CrippleDog

Post by CrippleDog »

Quote:
"Comfort and room for all of my junk are my highest priorities."

Since your wife isn't listed as a highest priority, I would go with two solo yaks. Might have to spend a little more $$, but it will be worth $$$$$$$$$
in the long run.
Or as the commercial says "kayaking in my own boat, PRICELESS"
CrippleDog
Saltwater4me

Post by Saltwater4me »

Is it that much more difficult to fish out of a tandem?? My thought was room for more junk if the wife was not along. I fished out of a tandem at St. Joe and didn't have much trouble handling the boat by myself.

Please advise of brands / models both single and tandem.
abcarias

I have a tandem

Post by abcarias »

You might want to consider buying used. I have a perception keowee 2 back country rigged for fishing (even when the wife comes along). if I could get someone to pay me half of what I paid three years ago Id get a solo. :lick:

You can reach me at 878-2866 if interested
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
Tom

Post by Tom »

Although I have not paddled a tandem, I have spent many hours in a solo yak. I suggest two solo yaks. When you go alone, a smaller lighter boat is easier to handle, paddle and especially to load/unload. If your wife likes kayaking, she will eventually want her own boat anyway. If together, two boats are safer than one.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Although I have not paddled a tandem, I have spent many hours in a solo yak. I suggest two solo yaks. When you go alone, a smaller lighter boat is easier to handle, paddle and especially to load/unload. If your wife likes kayaking, she will eventually want her own boat anyway. If together, two boats are safer than one.
BlueDrifter

I concure

Post by BlueDrifter »

Having fished out of Kayaks since 1970 and having owned two doubles each 17' and wide ,stable enough to stand if partner stayed sitting and now having a sit on top I would take two singles around 12 to 14 feet wide as you can get. My drifter supposedly is wide as you can get but it will go over in a blink if you get off center and happen to be crosswise to waves, wind or current. So I don't take junk in the back that I might need while paddling. I do take ice for my cup of diet coke but unless someone will open the chest for me from another yak I wont even try unless I can get out.

The only advantage I can see is a double would allow you to take ice chest that you can get to from the rear seat.

The drifter is a very wet boat even with scupper plugs in, in fact it is wetter with the plugs in as if you get cross-ways to the waves they will come over the side , so I leave them out.
Best advice try both get what is comfortable and safe. Don't skimp on price. My drifter was right at 600 you can get a pelican double for less but my boat is definitely a cheap boat. I think next time I will stay away from recycled coke bottles and get a harder surfaced boat. MMMM as old as I felt during my paddle Sunday a 14 Whaler with a 50 hp sounds nice.
RonHarrison
Site Sponsor

Post by RonHarrison »

I was talked OUT of getting a tandem and I'm so thankful. In addition to my wife, I have two children (8 and 3 y/o). I ended up with a Hobie Outback that I can fit the 3 y/o in. We purchased my wife a Hobie Kona Tandem (non-Mirage Drive). She and the 8 y/o pilot that well.

I honestly have to say that I wouldn't go out as much if I had to take the tandem each time.

Now, if you're set on a tandem, I'd recommend the Hobie Kona. They're below $1,000. The Hobie Kona comes with two seats, two paddles, and a couple of Hobie-branded water bottles (LOL).

The thing I like most about the Hobie Kona is that it can be rigged to be a solo kayak. There are three seat positions. There's the front and back, used when setup as a tandem, and there's a "center" position you can put one of the seats in if you want to go solo.

Downside to this kayak is no rudder option. That wouldn't work out anyway if you wanted to go between tandem and solo. The biggest drawback to trying to fish out of a tandem is that anything rigged for when you're going it tandem will be inconvenient if you're in the solo configuration. However, if you're just paddling, exploring, etc. when tandem and only doing serious fishing when solo, you're OK rigging it solo.

Hope that helps. Best of luck!
Ron Harrison
Tallahassee, Florida
2006 Hobie Outback Rigging Photo Album @ http://www.nettally.com/rharri/riggingredirect.htm .
Saltwater4me

Post by Saltwater4me »

Thank you for all of your inputs. Looks like I will be pricing two solos. The wife pointed out that if we got two, then she would actually have to paddle :-? . I will keep my options open.

Thanks Again. Will let you know what I end up with. :thumbup: