Keaton Beach 4-4 & 4-5

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Flats & Grubs

Keaton Beach 4-4 & 4-5

Post by Flats & Grubs »

Headed out of the marina around 9:00 a.m fri. to a fairly strong wind of about 8 to 10 knots. Fished the deeper water with little to no sucess. We came in to about 3' to 4' and started catching a few, but the bite was very slow. Ended up with 6 keeper trout and some major sunburn :oops:
Saturday morning we got on the water around 7:30. We tried the shallow 3' to 4' and caught about 15 shorts and 1 keeper. Went on out to deeper water and caught 4 more keepers including one 20" trout. The weather started looking real threatening around 1:00 p.m. so we stayed fairly close to the channel in about 4' of water. I told my fishing partner one more cast and were going on in before we got soaked. He cast & a fish doubled his rod over. He fought hard for around ten minutes & finally got the fish close to the boat. As soon as the fish saw the net coming he was tearing out line like a madman. Finally got him back close enough for me to snag with the net, and came up with a 29" cobia fishing light tackle !!!! It was tough releasing a fish that nearly whipped two grown men !
All in all it was another great weekend on the water.

Flats & Grubs
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

I feel ya on the sunburn. I fished Fri, Sat, and Sun and I am hurtin'! Man I'm proud to hear about the cobe. Did he come out of the 3-4 ft. water too?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

F&G, My brother-in-law caught a nice Cobia last year right about where you were at. Right on the edge of the channel about half way to marker No.1. On the left side going out. That's always my starting place. We stop there for pin fish. I've caught some of my biggest trout in that area.
Semper Fi
Flats & Grubs

Trout Fisher

Post by Flats & Grubs »

Yes, the cobia was in 4' of water when hooked. I had no idea that you could catch cobia in water that shallow. I've only been fishing the flats for a couple of years, so that was a first. I hope it happens again ! :D

Flats & Grubs
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Good result with the cobia, I bet that was fun on trout tackle. :D