Flats Fly Fishing- leader question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Koenig

Flats Fly Fishing- leader question

Post by Koenig »

Finally bought a SW fly rod. I was thinking of just using 12 lb. mono from the float line to the fly. Today I was reading a gentleman's web page about fly fishing in southwest Florida, here is what he recommended: "A very satisfactory leader can be constructed from a 7-1/2 foot commercial, tapered, soft nylon leader, to the end of which is tied a 2-foot constant diameter shock tippet of hard nylon." He goes on to say how the hard nylon helps with break-offs. Now, I know we are not in S.W. Florida and techniques vary from region to region, that's why I'm here. What do the fly fishers of the Big Bend think? Are there some other options I could use? What do you all use? Thanks in advance!

Oh, here is his page if anyone is interested. Chapter 5 for lines and leaders.
http://www.marco-island-florida.com/don/home.htm
LIVE TO FISH!!!!
creech

Post by creech »

Send noleflyfisher an IM, judging by his reports and pictures he's got the salt water fly fishing down pat. :thumbup:
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

From your leader line the best is to tie in twenty pound test tippet and change it when needed. This works great for almost every SW fish that do not have real sharp teeth. This is the setup we use to sight fish for reds, trout, cobia, etc. Has always held up great.
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Sent you an IM Koenig. Kneeknocker is my fishing partner so he knows. I would recommend a tapered pre made 12lb saltwater leader (Scientific Anglers) with a couple feet of 20lb shock (I use fluoro b/c it is stiff and abrasion resistant). Good luck.
NoleFear

Post by NoleFear »

I use a 7' tapered twisted leader with a loop to loop too a 2' single strand bite tippet (total 9' leader), that way it is easy to change the bite tippet when it becomes worn. The twisted leaders work great as they do not coil, will turnover a wet sock and I can usually get a whole season out of them. These leaders are very simple to make, I use either 10 or 12 lb test to construct them. Using 10lb test you end up with a 40lb butt section that tapers to 20lb add on a 2' bite tippet (fluorocarbon) of your choice and your done. If anyone would like details shoot me an email. See link below.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/104631.bmp
Koenig

Post by Koenig »

Thanks so much fellas! I'll have to pick up some of them leaders then. I may try out my new combo on some reds at Aucilla this weekend. If its anything like catching bows browns and cuts in CO, it will be an awesome feeling to catch a red on a fly fishing rig!!!! I'll let ya know how me and the new fly rod work out. :)
LIVE TO FISH!!!!
Koenig

Post by Koenig »

Nope! Life threw a curve and I couldn't go. :( Oh well, just have to try harder next weekend.
LIVE TO FISH!!!!
jmart2601

Post by jmart2601 »

Guys,
if a REAL amateur wanted to get into fly-fishing here in the Big Bend area for Redfish, etc, could someone list what ALL rigging one would need to just get started!? That is rod, reel, lb line, leader, bait, etc...!

Thanks!
misipy
"misipy"