Spring Creek Labor Day Weekend 9/3/06

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Apalach
Site Sponsor

Spring Creek Labor Day Weekend 9/3/06

Post by Apalach »

Well, I had hoped to be in the 10,000 Islands area this weekend for the opening of the snook season (and to see the grandkids in Naples!), but that had to be postponed. Didn't make the local 9/2 yak extravaganza either, but not to be outdone, I decided to try the headwaters of Spring Creek for some reds. There I am, all by my lonesome, at 0600 getting my yak rigged and at 0615 a pickup drives up with a yak in back. Couldn't see who it was, but I figured hey, it might be fun to have some company. Then a familiar voice rings out-it was my old fishing buddy, Doc, ready to try for whatever, down the creek. Then about 10 minutes later, another vehicle pulls up with another yak (still no boaters anywhere to be seen!). And it turns out to be Littoral-this time complete with paddle! So, we had the makings of an excursion. Turned out to be pretty nice weather, albeit hot as usual.

I was throwing about everything I had: Skitterwalks, Mirrolure suspending twitchbaits, a Terminator in-line weedless spinner, a Rapala X-rap, leadhead jigs and tails, etc., but with no luck. Meanwhile, Doc and Litt were having fun hauling in rat reds, short trout, and jack crevalles on Strike King plastics. Sooo-I finally gave it up and borrowed a couple of what they had, and almost immediately began hauling in my share of short trout and jacks! I mean when the trout are barely longer than your lure, you know it's a slow day!

Howsomever, the jacks, although small as well, at least had the potential to give you a bit of a sleigh ride. I caught three and made certain to set the hook (I thought) really well, but as soon as they got close to the yak, they spit and split. Here is a pic of Litt with one of his jacks-they all seemed to be about the same size, as were the trout.

So, a nice day to be on the water, even though the catching was not all that great. But y'all know the standard fisherman's mantra-a slow day fishing is still better than any day at work!

Last edited by Apalach on September 11th, 2006, 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Good report. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
abcarias

Post by abcarias »

Dick you have to show me how to set the camera to darken Lits face like that. It makes a much better pic :lol:
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Heavy on the cheeeeap sunscreen!

Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice report and catch :thumbup: :thumbup:
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Rob Baker, Josh, and myself sent there Friday night and caught lots of Jacks, trout, blues, sailcats and some ladyfish. They were fishing with shrimp and I stuck with a Super Spook and had a lot of fun catching the jacks on topwater.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

abcarias wrote:Dick you have to show me how to set the camera to darken Lits face like that. It makes a much better pic :lol:
Oh, that's special. :smt015
I'd take the bait but big fish require technique.
Meanwhile, I'm sure Ap will be happy to give you a tutorial in photography
so you can at least post pictures of other people's fish.
:wink:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

:o Dang! :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.