Alligator Harbor Sunday 9/4

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Alligator Harbor Sunday 9/4

Post by Aucilla »

For the sake of fair and balanced reporting, I report . . . . .

NADA! SKUNKED!

With just a few hours to spare, yesterday I hauled down to my old, tried and true wading spot that I used to call "near St. Teresa" to keep it a �secret� spot too. I didn't look at a tide chart, so I arrived just at the high, slack tide. So the timing could have been better.

For the first time ever, I saw a kind of wildlife at that spot that I hadn't seen there before: I was promptly treated to a couple of jet skiers, roaring by, sceaming away. :hammer: :hammer: Thankfully, they didn't return; but their dad did a bit later, and he roared by a bit closer but any screaming he was doing was on the inside. :hammer: :smt006

That went away quickly though, and all I caught the rest of my two and a half hours were glimpses of breaching dolphin, :smt006 in quite close, and diving osprey getting fish.

The water was murky, coffee with cream, 18 inches vis. The bottom seemed to have less grass then last year [and every year it is worse in that regard], and there were a lot of mysterious grapefruit size living globs all over the bottom, that I got to kick, unseen, as I shuffled along to avoid sting rays. [BREAKING NEWS: a buddy told me this morning that the guy that hosts the TV show about crocodiles and all got killed in the last couple of days off the Barrier Reef, by a......STINGRAY THAT STABBED HIM IN THE CHEST!] :o Hey apalach, what are those globs anyway??

So, anyway, I shuffled all over my favorite sub-spot there, which is just offshore from that certain dead tree.... oh well maybe I had the wrong tree: It was kind of hard to tell, because now nearly all the trees along there are dead, from salt water intrusion from the hurricanes I suspect.

In my pride, I brought no live bait with me. I fished artificials because I actually caught a redfish there, in July or August, with one. :thumbup: :thumbup: I also brought some cut mullet just for an emergency, :oops: but it was old, frozen, washed out lookin' cut mullet.

I tried spinner baits with electric chicken and garnet mullety looking things, and I tried jig heads with white curly tails, and I tried all kinds of stuff on those rigs. I tried 'em under CT's and not. I retrieved slow and I retrieved medium. I got three taps. I got tennis elbow.

I fished the cut mullet. I got two taps on that. I actually fished two rods at once, the mullet rod down my shorts. :oops: :o :oops: :-D I only did this in quiet desperation, after the taps stopped; and unfortunately there were no more of those, not even a catfish :smt007 was interested in the mullet. I have to think that there weren't any catfish there.....

I did see a mullet or two jump, and I saw some needle fish or whatever those things are that run on the surface....

So I have two questions or so:

What color do you use when there aren't any fish to catch?

And has ANYONE caught a trout in Alligator Harbor along Hwy 98 in the last two or three years???!!!! Back in the day, this spot would send me home with a stinger of trout and a big red. Now? Shoot: I done just told you where it is. Nice thing about it now is that it doesn't matter what color you use. And two years ago, I still would get some nice reds there.

So, that's my report. Jealous?
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Aucilla I think you need to go back to the Aucilla. :D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

tough stuff big Bill.
Is your 13 still floating?
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
2true

Post by 2true »

At least you got out. i have been HAMMERING the shrimp with the cast net!
(Got 3/4 of a cooler full!
abcarias

I have cuaght 3 oversized reds there in the last three weeks

Post by abcarias »

I have caught 3 oversized reds there in the last three weeks within wading distance from shore. One on a fly and 2 on mullet. Caught three trout over 22" in the past two months. They are still there, but its not automatic. I started fishing St Marks again and havent caught much their the last two trips. My buddies caught several reds. Thats just fishin! You just need to fish more dude.
¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>
wetjet

Post by wetjet »

in that area in those conditions i like a pink jig head with a bright rasberry color. if you look at the color of the luv lure rasberry that is what i am talking about. second choices in that water condition would be pink diamond. something light, bright, with sparkle.

also like to use the CJ to add the sound element to the jig

i have caught trout over there this past year

hope this helps

wetjet
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Thats tough, Aucilla.

When I'm fishing conditions like that and there isn't much floating grass, I'll throw a large, noisy topwater bait. Of any color.

Better luck next time. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

You'll get 'em next time amigo :beer:

I hope there's nothing happening over there to kill off the grass :o
Apalach
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalach »

Hey Aucilla,
Kind of a discouraging, albeit honest, report--thanks for sharing it. Don't know about those "mysterious grapefruit size living globs all over the bottom." Cannonball jellyfish would fit that description, but I'm assuming you probably know what those suckers look/feel like. Might have been some clusters of dislodged tunicates (sea squirts) possibly, but I can't really say without the corpus delicti, or a pic thereof. :-D
Cheers,
Dick

jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Eggs, maybe!
Knot Tester

Post by Knot Tester »

Globs of goo - I'm going with nudibranch or the common sea slug

They are clear in this area and tend to take on the color or what they are eating...usually green or brown.

If you step on one they bleed octopus ink purple.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Thanks for the 'fishin's not so good report'. :D Now, git back out there and catch som. :D