Late post Cobia Fishing 9/17/06

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sea Sea Rider

Late post Cobia Fishing 9/17/06

Post by Sea Sea Rider »

After a disappointing loss by my beloved Seminoles, I tried to forget my sorrows by getting some salt air in my face. I have been very busy so it was my first trip in two months. I usually take a break during the heat of the summer to try and catch up on work that is leftover from Spring fishing.

I was targeting my favorite fish, Cobia. I didn't actually get on the water until 3:00. Fished for bait for about an hour. Drifted pin-fish while bait-fishing and caught trout, ladyfish, spanish, blues and jacks. Started hunting for Cobia ,however, by now sun was already low on the horizon. I was not spotting any fish so I began to fish my holes blindly. I normally like to sight fish for my Cobia and watch them pursue and inhale my bait. Third place I tried I felt my pinfish begin to swim with more authority than his little body was able to produce so I set the hook and the fight was on. A nice fish for this time of year, approximately 30-35 pounds. I have caught and released over 100 cobia over the years so I am pretty good at estimating. Fought the fish to boat-side only to have the fish spit the hook on that one last run by the boat. Thinking that it was going to be one of those days after your team losses and now a nice cobia spits the hook on you, I leave in frustration to my next cobia hole. No luck on about 4 holes and then tap....tap. Set the hook, small fish, sling it in the boat, tag the fish and release the fish. By now the sun is almost set, need to run for the house. Stop by one last place, no strike, reel like crazy and with my pinfish skipping across the water about five yards from my boat a dark shadow swirls around my pinfish but did not take the bait. Tried several more casts to no avail. Left for about ten minutes and returned, hooked the fish on my first cast. The fish looks like a marginal keeper so I try to net him in my new rubber net from Wal-Mart. Have the fish in the net and try to throw him in the boat but he wriggles out. Strike one. Net the fish again and finally throw it in the boat. Let the fish settle down, 34.5" to the fork of the tail. In the cooler it goes.

Beautiful sunset. Nice to spend some quality time again with my mistress of the sea, my brown eyed cobia.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Congrats and nice write up.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Very nice Sea Rider. I hook/boated a couple shorts this year, completely by accident.....one short by a rat's a$$.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Nice cobes. Where are those spots? :wink:
What was I supposed to do today?
Sea Sea Rider

Post by Sea Sea Rider »

Do you want to know where I caught them?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sea Sea Rider wrote:Do you want to know where I caught them?
My post was meant as a joke. But, sure, if ya wanna PM me the numbers.......... :-D :wink:
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

and ME, ME ME too! It may help me to catch my first one :thumbup:
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Sea Sea Rider

Post by Sea Sea Rider »

No problem. I caught them in the mouth with a cricket!
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Sea Sea Rider wrote:No problem. I caught them in the mouth with a cricket!
You use crickets, too? :thumbup:
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

Glad you finally caught him! :thumbup:

Sorry about the Noles, I've been through that with the Dawgs! Nice report and I'll be happy to check those numbers out myself! :-D :thumbup:
Knot Tester

Post by Knot Tester »

How does that rubber malwart net work out? Seen it and wondered if it wer any good.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good morning SEA SEA.

Very nice job of reporting :thumbup: Excellent recovery from the loss...that's the way to handle one.... some of us may be fishing more than usual on Saturday afternoons unless things come together :roll:
Now that your caught up on your summer work, we'll be looking forward to some more reports :D :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Reel Fun
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Fun »

I enjoyed your report....thanks :thumbup: I haven't heard of many folks catching cobia these days...sounds like you definitely know what you're doing.....WTG.. :-D
Time on the water is NEVER wasted time.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Good report, Sea Sea. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I don't want to know the location of your holes but I would like to know where you launched you boat from.
GULP! free since 1970.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Sea Sea Rider wrote:No problem. I caught them in the mouth with a cricket!
Dang it...ain't nothing a secret no more :o :-D