St Marks 04/17, 18th and 19th

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

St Marks 04/17, 18th and 19th

Post by Browning Slayer »

Well, let me start off saying we hit this weekend perfect. The weather was great, sunny, and very little wind! I took my father and my girlfriend for their first trip to the flats and let me say they'll never forget this trip.
We started off the day on Thursday 04/17 afternoon and put in at the lighthouse around 11:30am and headed east. The bite was a little slow off the start but picked up around 1:00pm. We landed around 40 small trout and 1 keeper so we headed out to deeper water and proceeded to catch 3 more keepers and ran into a few spanish with the biggest being 16 inches. We ended the day with a nice bag of filets and awaited Friday.

Friday we started the day around 7:00 am (and went east of the lighthouse) and the morning bite was slow except for the continuous Lady fish bite. We caught around 15 of these and for the 2 first timers they had a blast catching these fish. We were picking up a bunch of small trout so we headed towards black rock and the bite started! In one drift we caught 4 trout (3 of them in the 20 to 24 inch range) and landed two nice blues. Threw the marker bouy out and made the drift again. 2 more keeper trout and another blue. Motored back to the bouy and made the drift again and this drift came up with another keeper trout and 2 spanish (biggest being 16 inches). Made the attempt at the drift again and only came up with one more keeper and numerous shorts. For a good 2 hours we were catching fish on every cast. Ended the day with 13 trout, 2 spanish, and 4 blues. Great day on the water and the crew loved it!

Saturday we were off to a slow start cause I let my virgin crew sleep in a little bit. We stopped by Jerry's and grabbed a chum block and was ready to see if we could get our hands on a Cobia. We put in at the light house and motored east. Anchored up and the block went off the side of the boat. We immediatley started catching lady fish on just about every cast. I threw a pinfish off the back and it hit the water for about two minutes and and the cork went under. Set the hook and came up with nothing except a pinfish cut in half. Baited up and threw it out again. After about 5 minutes the cork went under. Counted to 5 and set the hook. Drag took off and never looked back. Yelled at the crew to pull up anchors and as everyone fumbled around to do so the line went slack. Reeled in and the line had broke. What ever it was, it was BIG! Nothing happened after that so we pulled anchors and headed in for some trout. The bite was a little slow that afternoon and we only produced 4 keepers and two more Spanish around 15 inches. Decided to go over to my redfish hole and found someone already achored up . We anchored up east of this boat and watched this guy pull in 8 or 9 redfish. Once the bite slowed down he pulled his anchor and decided to throw his entire bucket of shrimp into the water. We went back to trout fishing and caught a bunch of shorts and no more keepers..
Oh yeah, all the fish that were keepers came off of Mirrorlures and the best bait this weekend was the Yozuri Crystal minnows! The crystal minnow caught every species of fish

The weekend was great and I was able to show my Dad and girlfriend Flats fishing at it's finest! I've now got two more fishing partners that are ready to go back down evertime I go!