Inshore/Offshore Fishing Trip 9/24

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sea Sea Rider

Inshore/Offshore Fishing Trip 9/24

Post by Sea Sea Rider »

Started out bait fishing. Had my Nephew and his girlfriend along for the ride. Nephew and myself were catching pin fish, CT goes under and girlfriend picks up the ultralight. I could see about a two foot shark running line off the reel and then all of the sudden girlfriend lets the small shark jerk the ultralight right out of her hands. It was just a cheap Wal-Mart special Ugly Stick Rod and Shakespeare Reel. Commence to fishing, catch under size trout, more sharks and blues while pin-fishing. After a long drift we go back to original spot. Nephew pulls up green Power Pro line with bait fishing. I tell him that is the line from lost pole. We pull up line with shark still attached and retrieve lost rig. Nice save I tell him!.

On to Cobia Fishing. Hit several holes, no strikes. Finally get to a hole and see Brown and White swimming all around. Hook the first, undersized, I contemplate letting girl friend reel in. I give her the rod after telling her, whatever you do do not let go of the pole. She does a fine job, catch, tag and release fish. Hook another fish hand to Nephew 32" to the fork, tag and release. We catch, tag and release two more undersized Cobias.

On the way in hit a few buoys and catch a nice Tripletail 23" long approximately 6 pounds. At least we don't go home empty handed.

A little breezy, but a nice day on the water.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Man, you are the cobe king. Nice trip.
What was I supposed to do today?
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Dang. Good trip. :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Re: Inshore/Offshore Fishing Trip 9/24

Post by rocket »

Sea Sea Rider wrote:Nephew pulls up green Power Pro line with bait fishing. I tell him that is the line from lost pole. We pull up line with shark still attached and retrieve lost rig.
Ummm sir...if I gave you the money, would you buy me a lottery ticket? :-D :-D
BTW, where were you fishing?
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Sea Sea Rider

Post by Sea Sea Rider »

I fish all over the viewing area. These fish were taken out of Lanark. Sure, I'll buy lottery tickets. Just show me the money!
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Sea Sea Rider wrote:I fish all over the viewing area. These fish were taken out of Lanark. Sure, I'll buy lottery tickets. Just show me the money!
:-D :-D
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

SSR Wrote:
I fish all over the viewing area
.... REALLY! :roll: Wow.... some folks must have a better antenna that others... my signal never comes in that strong! :smt005 Good job SSR :thumbup: Keep those reports on the vague side... it drives us crazy :-D :-D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Reel Fun
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Fun »

You ARE the Cobia man.... :thumbup: nice report, thanks :D
Time on the water is NEVER wasted time.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Inshore/Offshore Fishing Trip 9/24

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Sea Sea Rider wrote: Nephew pulls up green Power Pro line with bait fishing. I tell him that is the line from lost pole. We pull up line with shark still attached and retrieve lost rig. Nice save I tell him!.
Had that happen to a buddy last year 20 miles out. Lost a rig when a grouper hit a rod line leaning against console. Snatched it right out of boat. Later that day, they were back at hole, snagged line, and brought rig up WITH grouper still attached. I wudn't of believed him, but he had 2 witnesses.

I NEVER get luck like that.... :smt009

Hooked :-D
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

Nephew pulls up green Power Pro line with bait fishing. I tell him that is the line from lost pole. We pull up line with shark still attached and retrieve lost rig. Nice save I tell him!.
Best catch of the day! :-D

Nice report!! :thumbup:
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....
Sea Sea Rider

Post by Sea Sea Rider »

Yeah I was lucky. I was once fishing a good grouper bite with my son and the next door neighbor. I was fishing the stern when I turned around and neighbor boy was taking a leak with the rod laying across the console seat. Saw the rod jump twice then over the side. A custom built rod and Newell Reel. Put a damper on our good day.
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

A friend of mine that dives tells me his best rod and reel came off the bottom still attached to a grouper.