Boat of choice

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Boat of choice

Post by Redbelly »

What boat for inshore suits you best, or what do you wish for?

From poling shallow to out 5 miles, what would you want for the all round flats machine?

Aluminum, glass, flat bottom skiff, semi v, full v.....horsepower,
trim & tilt, jack plate.....

money is no object on this here thread :D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Yes.........

Just Kidding, I'm sure there is no right or wrong answer. It will be a matter of each persons opionion. But with my limited experince on the flats I like my setup. It's a combination of my new boat Sea Pro SV1900CC (115 hp) which gives me the comfort and stability of the glass for going out the 5 miles you mentioned and into the shallower inshore waters and then my 15' Flat bottom Jon Boat (25hp) which allows me to get in the creeks during those tricky winter low tides. I could stand more HP on either (there's always room for improvement). But then again I'm partial with my opionion. 8)
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Shearwater 2400Z?

http://www.americanmarinesports.com/She ... 0Main.html

Skeeter ZX 24 Bay?

http://www.skeeterboats.com/Product_pag ... 24Bay.html

If money/storage/towing capacity was no object for me... I might wind up with one of those.

Or just keep the flats boat and buy a separate offshore rig like this:

Parker 2520XL Sport Cabin?
http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boat_d ... ?boatid=17

Cape Horn 31 Offshore?
http://capehornboats.com/index_files/Page590.htm

Contender 31 Open?
http://www.contender.com/fleet_310.asp?t=6
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

There's the ole philosophy of "aim'n high" and you'l achieve more!

Then there's Atticus who jist shoot's STRAIGHT UP! :-D You go Son!! :-D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Ty one on

Re: Boat of choice

Post by Ty one on »

At this time my boat suits my needs. (18' Action Craft)(115 Yamaha)(54lbs. thrust trolling motor)

I have owned several boats also. From Bassboats, Carolina Skiffs to Plywood boats.

My Action Craft provides me with low sides, a cap rail around the sides of the boat for walking from the front to the back, a small center console, a poling deck for seeing fish when they come to you plug, (I don't have a push pole, don't want one) a shallow draft, it runs 48 MPH when conditions are perfect, and in a 2 to 2.5 chop can still run 20 to 25 MPH, and I feel comfortable running in 14" of water if I'm not in a rock area, and trim tabs to assist me getting out of the hole.

I will not have a jack-plate due to the rocks in our area.

I think of a Jack-plate as a Four wheel drive. eventually your going to get in trouble.
Last edited by Ty one on on September 26th, 2006, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Sometimes when you shoot straight-up the shotgun pellets fall down on your head. :o :-D

Cynical and I were at the ramp at the fort and saw a guy with a 24 Skeeter w/ 300HPDI and it was a nice rig. He had a t-top on it and it looked very nice.

Also that show Saltwater Experience is pumping Skeeters hardcore and they do some sick stuff on their 24' Skeeter in that show.

31 Cape Horn looks NICE too. Something about that boat's shape/angles gives me confidence that it could get me to Cancun from Carrabelle if we didn't run out of gas first.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Boat of Choice

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I just bought a 220 Bay Runner by Sea Chaser (less than one month ago), and does a great job for me whether I'm on the flats or offshore on a good day. I have plenty of storage( some compatments don't have anything in them yet), can run in 18" with the help of my trim tabs & handles 3-4s coming back in when it gets to bad. Mine is very similar to the 2400Z Shearwater, without the front anchor locker but that is availible on the larger models. I shopped about 3 months and for the money I spent this was a great deal, there were several others I looked at but they weren't worth another $5,000-$10,000 more to me. These are just my opinions, but I'm making the payments so I better love my boat.
fish on!!
Site Sponsor

Post by fish on!! »

20' SeaArk Bay Fisher
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

The way I see it every fisherman should have 4 boats.

1. 14-16 ft. Gheenoe for those low tide, winter days chasing redfish
2. 17-20 ft. flats boat
3. 18-24 ft. bay boat for hauling the family around
4. 25 ft. + offshore boat for grouper digging.

Of course you'll have to win the lottery to afford it. :lol:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

There is no such thing as the do all boat. Decide what kind of fishing you want to do. Buy a boat for that type of fishing. If, after time, your interest changes to a different type of fishing, trade boats. My wife will be glad to confirm this approach works. :D
What was I supposed to do today?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

TC wrote:
If, after time, your interest changes to a different type of fishing, trade boats. My wife will be glad to confirm this approach works
His wife will be glad to confirm that he use's that philosophy.... not necessarily that it works :roll:

Redbelly you were pretty specific with your question, (poling shallow to out 5 miles) I hope we haven't derailed the thread on you. Capt Ron gave some pretty authoritative information as well some folks indicating they were happy with their purchase. I'm OK with my 198 Semi V Carolina Skiff. I've been out as far as 17 miles. With 22" of freeboard I've got as much and sometimes more than some bayboats. Yes I'd love to have a hull with some dead rise, softer ride and better entry into chop/waves. However, I'd sure miss the open space that I'd give up by going to that type of hull and the stable platform I have when drifting. Takes all kinds don't it :smt014
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

birddog wrote:The way I see it every fisherman should have 4 boats.

1. 14-16 ft. Gheenoe for those low tide, winter days chasing redfish
2. 17-20 ft. flats boat
3. 18-24 ft. bay boat for hauling the family around
4. 25 ft. + offshore boat for grouper digging.

Of course you'll have to win the lottery to afford it. :lol:
I'm thinking 6. :roll:
What was I supposed to do today?
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

I prefer someone elses boat. Or at least their gasoline.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

TC Wrote:
I'm thinking 6.

is one of em gonna be a "tow boat"? :roll: