4/24/03 Rough Seas!

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CBASS_UGA

4/24/03 Rough Seas!

Post by CBASS_UGA »

I'm sure that all of you heard the same weather report that I did about yesterday, so yau'll all heard that the wind was not going to be a factor until late afternoon. WRONG! I launched at Alligator Point about 7:45. The gulf had a little chop but nothing my 17 footer couldn't handle. By the time I ran to the tip to make the turn to the west I was gettin bounced around like a pinball. Big choppy breaks, not rollers. 3-6 foot. Very irregular. So I turned around and thats when it really got fun. It took me 30 minutes to get form the tip to the marina. And that ain't but 1 mile. Anyways trailered the boat over to St. Marks, where it was choppy but very fishable. I got there with a little rising tide left and the fish bit all the way through till it started falling. Caught all the shorts I wanted, with very few keepers mixed in. I am happy to say that I caught my first fish on a CT rig. All my others were caught on a Yo-Zuri rattle trap in a firetiger color. Oh-well given the conditions it felt good to catch a few.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Beats workin. :D
What was I supposed to do today?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good morning CBASS

Glad you handled the conditions without miss hap. :D With regards to the time it took you to get back in after you turned around. Could you elaborate some on how you handled the conditions and what kind of 17 footer do you have. :o I don't recall what direction the wind was in yesterday...what direction were the waves? Did you just go slow? Did you have to ride the front of the wave? Were you headed into the waves? Did you have to take a tack(go in the trough for a while and then turn back?). Some of us who may not be as experienced could sure use some of your experience here. Thanks.
CBASS_UGA

Post by CBASS_UGA »

To be honest it was the hardest I've ever had to drive a boat. I've got an aluminum semi V with a 48 h.p. I extended my casting deck on the bow so I've got a lot of extra weight which helps. The wind was out of the east so it was blowing right down the bay. The incoming tide mixing with the east wind made for some very irregular and choppy seas. I guess what I work the most with in those situtations is the throttle. I am constantly on and off of it to try and control how the boat rises and falls over a crest. One time yesterday, I got on it too much on the rise and my bow flew up in the air and the stiff wind literally almost pushed me over. That scared the ever livin you know what out of me. From then of I did a lot of tacking when I could, cause I couldn't quarter with the wind like it was. It would have easily flipped me. It was scary but as always it was a learning experience.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

CBASS,

Thank you for sharing that experience with us. We have a tendency sometimes to make light, after the fact, of a situation that wasn't. :roll: We all enjoy fishing and boating but we need to remind our selves from time to time just what sort of elements and risks we are dealing with. Thanks again and glad to have you back safe and sound. :D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

CBASS, Sounds like my comment was uncalled for. Sorry you had such a rough time. And, I'm glad you got back OK.
What was I supposed to do today?
CBASS_UGA

Post by CBASS_UGA »

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it. The way I look at it is this. Just like riding a horse, if you never get back up every time he bucks you, you'll live in fear forever. But just like the sea you learn and try to do it again another day!
captainspride
Site Sponsor

Post by captainspride »

Glad to see you made it back OK,I got caught in water like that a couple of years ago in my 19footer with a 140 in the channel at Dog Island and it wasn't very fun.That kind of stress is ment for work not fishing.I'm glad that you still had a good day later.Where did you put in at St. Marks? I usually go see Allen but I haven't been there since last year.
Tight lines my friend
CaptainsPride
CBASS_UGA

Post by CBASS_UGA »

I put in at the lighthouse and fished just in a direct line to the birdrack.