What bait

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tin can
Site Sponsor

What bait

Post by tin can »

What bait has produced the most trout for you this year? Not necessarily your favorite bait.

A grub under a thunder has produced mor than anything for me this year. I haven't had a topwater bite to speak of.
What was I supposed to do today?
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Same here. Grub under CT. Top water, nothing, not a strike.
Last edited by dstockwell on April 30th, 2003, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

That ole favorite of my granddad and the bait I was raised on, cut pin fish tail. sometimes on the bottom, sometimes under a cajun thunder. But always a good standby when the trout are slow. :lol: TC I ain't had much on top water either this year. I know some folks that have over around Spring Warrior, but I ain't.
Semper Fi
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I've only been two days this year so I don't have a very large sample. However, a SWA in either Bone Diamond or Night Shiner (they are very close to the same color) hooked on a 1/4 oz. Cotee jig outfished everything else by a good margin. No float.
We got a couple lookers on topwater but no takers.

Most folks don't think it matters but I really do believe the Cotee jig catches more fish.
Ken
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Definitely a grub under the Cajun. This time last year they were hitting anything pink. A pink sinking/twitching mirrolure was a trout killer! This year I have caught only two trout on the mirrolure and it is chartreuse with the red hooks. They were both BIG fish though. I have only caught a few fish by bouncing the grub off the bottom, but they were quality fish also. I hope when the water clears, we'll get back to some normal fishing.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Electric Chicken with 1/4 ounce jig head has produced best thus far, ditto on top water being very low on strikes this year :(
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Cajun T with a jig under. Leader about 24 to 30 inches has by far produced more for me than anything else. There was one weekend though where the trout just were not having anything of it!! My partner and I started fishing with no CT just retrieving the jig and was the only way we could get bit that weekend. Either way jig always tipped with fishbites. Jig colors space guppy yellow, candy corn, white pink tip. Mostly 1/4 ounce head but a few 1/8's. Best day had a bit of a chop that really bounced the CT's up and down. Didn't even need to retrieve, just let the thing float around.
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

Candy Corn SWA under a thunder
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

CT with red jig, pearl/red tail grub. The leader length seem to need about 3 feet this spring. Topwater, nothing on trout. I keep tossing it though.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

CT w/ Red/white paddle tail has been the main producer, a few on jerk baits (top&bottom). No topwater here either
wetjet

Post by wetjet »

baby trout color has outfished everything this year

the small (4-inch) slug has worked best but the shad tail swa a close 2nd.

no c/t just a straight jig with unpainted head

give it a try in this wine colored water even in the deeper water and let me know

i forget the manufacturer of the 4 inch slug version but it is darker than the swa this has been the best bait by far this season

:wink:
wj
dowawoo

lure

Post by dowawoo »

Ok, I use a Yozui twitch n minnow, have used it for years, now I go though about 6 to 8 a year. Red and yellow in color. I have caught every thing, Reds, Shark, trout, grouper, cobia ( 38 lbs on 8lb test in Tampa Bay) and I swear by it, when everything else fails, it works..don't just take my word, try it...hard to find, I order them on line.
Don
dowawoo
gatorsuf1

Post by gatorsuf1 »

Jigs with or without a CT. Usually I do better with a CT but last weekend they did not take it so i switched to a plain jig and they started biting. The glow and Elec. Chicken SWA are working best tipped with fishbites. Have tried topwater a few times with no results.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good afternoon dowawoo,

Sorry about the delay in this reply haven't checked this topic in a day or so. With respect to your preference on the Yozui twitch n minnow, I don't know how they are stocked where you are but was in the Walmart Super Center here in Tallahassee yesterday and they had a very large selection of the twitch n minnows. :D