Keaton Beach 10.21.06

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Keaton Beach 10.21.06

Post by MudDucker »

Took the Old Pro and a passle of youngin's today and made a leisurely trip to Keaton Beach. With the low at 8:29, I set my schedule to be at the Marina at 9:30. After shaking a bunch of sleepy youngin's out at 6:30 AM and loading gear, we pulled out and hit the local Micky D's on the way out. As soon as the food was gone, so was my crew. Back to sleep. Had a trouble free drive to Keaton. The guy at the lift asked me twice how long the Old Pro was...told him it was 24 and he thought it was longer. Put in, loaded up the sleepy headed kids, then puttered out the canal, which was real low. Hit the deep hole at the end of the rocks and let'er rip. Headed up toward Deckle and Spring Warrior. Grass floating everywhere. Stopped out from Deckle and rigged alll of the youngins with cajun thunders and started drift. Nothing but trash fish interested. Picked up and ran more north. Baitfish pods were plentiful, but not many fish working on them. Found some excited birds, circled in and drifted. Lost two short trout. Moved in for a closer drift and my son got a nice slot red for the box. Ran further north and saw something busting the minnows. Blues were going crazy, but only got a few quick swats at the cajuns. Then my danged starter started acting up...the new starter I had replaced after my old one was dragging 2 fishing trips ago and the same one that acted up a little a St. Joe Bay...yes, the same one I was assured by Kenny was good to go...dang it. It was about 2PM so when I got her fired off, I turned south and ran hard back to Keaton. Loaded Old Pro back on the trailer and drove back to Valdosta...and yes, you guessed it, my crew feel back to sleep...what great company. Left the Old Pro back at the shop backed up to the bay...so they got to move her in order to work on anyone else.

Kids had fun and so did I. Just wish the phishes would have cooperated better. :-D
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Still sounds like fun. Except for the boat trouble. Glad you and the crew got out there. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Redfish, trout & taken some kiddies phishing, it don't get no better... :thumbup: :thumbup:
ddb

Post by ddb »

Sounds like you had a good trip, particularly those that were able to sleep during the ride. Wish I could do that on some rides home.

We had a similar experience last week. Lots of bait fish, but not a lot chasing after them. I would think it's only a matter of time until they catch up to em and move in after them.

Sorry about the motor problems but glad you were able to make it back in.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

You know, had I not recently purchased a Sea Tow Membership, I feel sure that my starter would have totally given up the ghost :lol:

The youngins all said they had a good time. Probably helped that they didn't have to flail away at the fish all day. I usually let them set the time for departure, but none fussed when I said we had to go. :-D

Yep, grilled that redfish for lunch along with some store bought shrimp...might fine :thumbup:
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Sorry bout the motor problems but you pulled out a good day :thumbup:
catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

Good deal with the kids. :thumbup:

My boss refurbished an ol pro 24. It was real sharp. Something special bout them ol boats. :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

Muducker thought you Might have gotten them dredlocks hung in the starter lol
:o
But know ole Jame and crew will get to work on it if you blocked the way lol..You should let the Girl thats there do your work :thumbup:
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

:D