Dec 13 06 Cedar Key offshore. A young boys intro to grouper

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Dec 13 06 Cedar Key offshore. A young boys intro to grouper

Post by Big Bend Brian »

This trip was the best grouper fishing trip of my life and I didn’t even catch a single legal grouper.

I’ve been waiting for this day with great anticipation, to introduce my son Casey (7 yrs old) to a family of fish that I dearly love, grouper. Casey’s been offshore a few times with his younger sister playing with Spanish mackerel, kingfish, grunts and blackfish but never on a specific grouper trip. Fishing with us was a father & son who had not fished with us before but are friends and Gainesville Offshore Fishing Club members. Eric and his son Ian (11 yrs old) fish primarily inshore. While both Casey & Ian have good inshore skills, both boys had not yet caught a legal grouper. The single goal for the day was to change that.

After much weather watching, the time was finally right and we pulled the two boys from school to play hooky for the day (I fondly remember skipping school with my high school Vice-Principal to hunt partridge in Wisconsin). I’m a firm believer that a child’s education doesn’t always come from the classroom.

We left the Cedar Key dock at 0630 hours in fog, which would stay with us most of the day, but were able to run out slowly on plane using the chart plotter and numerous lookouts. Our first stop was just shy of 40 feet and was a number I recently found. This number has been reserved for just this trip and the boys were itching to prove they could put a hurt on the locals down below. Casey was first to hook up and I could tell he was taken by surprise at how hard grouper pull.

First at bat

After wrestling up his first legal grouper we did some great high fives!

Casey is all smiles with an awesome first gag at 24+ inches & 8.4 lbs

Feeling the pressure Ian then hooked up to a nice fish and was doing his best to bring it into the boat.

Ian hard at work

With steady pressure Ian got it up from the depths and we all celebrated his first legal grouper!

Ian’s first legal grouper! A beautiful 20.5 inch red grouper.

Going right back at it Ian tied into another fish pulling a bit harder and brought up another fine red grouper.

Ian manning the rod

A rather unusual way to hook it but nonetheless just as exciting

Ian with a larger red grouper

Casey was next and brought in another fine gag without too much trouble. When the grouper first surged the rod hit the gunnel but he got it under control and off the gunnel. At the same time Eric brought in a smaller gag but Eric was just warming up……

Casey & Eric with a brace of gag

Pinning on a large live bait I gave the rod to Eric and told him to hang on. Within a minute he was working on a nice fish with the boys watching the underwater battle and intent on helping out. The fish rocked up but Eric worked him out and boated his largest gag to date.

Eric working a grouper and the boys looking on

Eric, Ian, and a nice but scratched up 10 lb gag

Thinking that we would try another nearby spot we first asked the boys if they would rather go back to Cedar Key and swim or keep fishing. It was unanimous-“KEEP FISHING!â€
Quality Time
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Absolutely Awesome Report :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Those boys will never forget that experience.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Wow! Those boys are ruined for like. what a great report. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Wow, that is some beautiful water, and some beautiful fish! And some real happy youngins'.....

Great Report. Can't wait till saturday. Headin out there myself again.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Definately one for the books!
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Great trip...you easily win the Dad of the year award in those boys hearts!
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Great report and a fine day ! Looks like you have a fishing partner from now on !
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

freakin sweet .... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

WOW... if you don't keep a journal.... START! :-D :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
reel therapy
Site Sponsor

Post by reel therapy »

Awesome...reel awesome! :thumbup: Gotta love fishing with the kids!

:beer:
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Very nice :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing with us. :beer:
GIT-R-WET
Site Sponsor

Post by GIT-R-WET »

Man what a awesome trip and report :beer: :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer: almost made me ashame to post my 1 fish.
"LIFE IS GOOD IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS"
Second Chance
Site Sponsor

Post by Second Chance »

Thanks for sharing :thumbup: You and your son will both remember that trip forever.