GROUPER REGS

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CROCKER

GROUPER REGS

Post by CROCKER »

I HAVE BEEN DOING SOME READING FROM DIFFRENT SOURCES ON THE SUBJECT AND I AM NOW CONFUSED. PLEASE HELP.

1.) DOES THE SEASON CLOSE FOR ALL GROUPER FROM FEB 15 - MARCH 15?

2.) DOES THIS APPLY FOR FEDERAL WATERS ONLY?

3.) HOW FAR OUT DOES STATE WATER EXTEND?

RECENT TRIPS HAVE BEEN PRETTY GOOD FROM 30' - 70' NO ONE SPOT SEEMS TO BE AS GOOD AS ANOTHER BUT THE BITE HAS BEEN STEADY, WITH ONE EXCEPTION CALM SMOOTH WATERS = LESS FISH. IF IT IS TOLERABLE WE WILL GO.
GIT-R-WET
Site Sponsor

Post by GIT-R-WET »

All grouper closed season 2/15-3/15 for federal and state waters is my understanding.

state waters extend to 9 miles out in the gulf and 3 miles out in the atlantic.
"LIFE IS GOOD IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS"
Mako17

Post by Mako17 »

Just got off the phone with Gus @ FWC. He said that this was a proposed closing in Federal waters that never made it to law. So keep fishin!
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

GIT-R-WET
Site Sponsor

Post by GIT-R-WET »

I just called the FWC 1-888-404-3922 and they told me it is a law and grouper will be closed 2/15-3/15. So now I don't know what to believe or where to actually get the real facts.
Mako17

Post by Mako17 »

Just got my Florida Sportsman Mag and it says the season is closed too. Maybe Gus at FWC didn't know what he was talking about.

Does FWC manage Federal waters also or is there another agency I need to contact?
GIT-R-WET
Site Sponsor

Post by GIT-R-WET »

Here's a copy of email I sent to FWC and there reply.

Is the recreational grouper fishing going to be closed 2/15-3/15? I have heard that it is and I have heard that it is not. I can't find anything on the FWC website (http://myfwc.com/marine/Regulations/FL_ ... an2007.pdf) that says it will be closed.People need to know if this is law or not.

Thank You,
Tommy Johnson
Concerned Angler

Response (MFM-GG) 01/29/2007 11:47 AM
Good Morning Mr. Johnson,

Grouper fishing (red, gag, and black) on the Gulf of Mexico will be closed to recreational anglers and commercial fishermen in federal waters during February 15 to March 15. However, grouper fishing will remain open in state waters (extending to 9 nautical miles from shore) during this time for recreational anglers. More information is available online at
http://www.gulfcouncil.org/Beta/GMFMCWe ... losure.pdf
piscivorousfotog
Site Sponsor

Continue to catch shallow water grouper

Post by piscivorousfotog »

The following column was penned by FWC Lt. Bruce Cooper for Woods 'N Water Magazine's February issue:
Can You Catch Grouper?
With the start of the new year there are two major changes that offshore fisherman in the Gulf of Mexico need to be aware of.
The one affecting all grouper fisherman has NOAA Fisheries Service implementing a recreational closed season for black, gag and red grouper from February 15 through March 15, 2007.
The recreational closure will coincide with the one-month commercial fishery grouper closure. The recreational closure is in effect for federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
The recreational closure does not include state waters under the jurisdiction of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
The FWC has not taken any action on the recreational closure and will be waiting for the next grouper stock assessment due out in early 2007.
Federal waters in the Gulf of Mexico start at nine miles and extend seaward. State waters start at the shore and extend out nine miles.
FWC officers will not be enforcing the recreational closure while patrolling state waters, but will be enforcing the closure while patrolling federal waters during federal fisheries patrol.
If you plan on possessing recreational-caught black, gag or red grouper during the closure they must have been caught in state waters and you may not be in federal waters during the time of possession.
Another noticeable change will be the use or possession of fish traps in federal waters. After Feb. 7, 2007 it will be prohibited to use or possess fish traps in federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
The phase-out of fish traps was established to target the impacts of incidental catch of non-targeted species, unreported fishing effort by the industry, lack of compliance with fish trap regulations and long-term ghost fishing from abandoned or lost traps.
To find out additional information on federal fisheries go to: http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov.
To find out information on state fisheries go to: http://www.MYFWC.com.
"This is almost as much fun as being there!"
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I have several spots inside the 9 mile line :-D :thumbup: :beer:
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

I believe 9 nautical miles is a little farther than 9 miles. I can't remember the exact math.. anyone ?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Your mapping GPS is your best friend for this situation :thumbup: :thumbup:

GIT-R-WET
Site Sponsor

Post by GIT-R-WET »

9 nautical miles = 10.35702 miles
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

What Wevans said. I don't know about other brands, but if you're using a Garmin GPS, and Bluechart, The 9 nautical mile line is built into the map.
What was I supposed to do today?