How to read a chart, a little help?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dbplug
Site Sponsor

How to read a chart, a little help?

Post by dbplug »

Can someone direct me to a site that might tell me the meanings of the keys on the nautical charts? Some of them I can figure out. But what is 'Sy'? What are the shipwrecks, seems to be 3 different kinds- what does "PA" mean? Etc. etc. Still learning. Thanks!
for petes sake
jonguthrie
Site Sponsor

Post by jonguthrie »

You need A publication that comes from NOAA called "Chart No. 1"
Nautical Chart Symbols and Abbreviations. I believe they are still free
and you should be able to get them at West Marine or anywhere they
sell nautical charts.

BTW
PA is short for Position Approximate
As for Sy it is A French nautical abbreviation for Sticky. I sure would like to know what chart you found that one on.

This might be on the NET. Try running A search engine on the publication name.
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Jon, I got the chart from West Marine ($25.00). It is by Waterproof Charts, Inc. Called Waterproof Chart #18E, Apalachee Bay to St. Mark River. It says SY in Mud Cove behind Alligator Point, as well in the shollows on the NNE side of Lanark Shoals. I can attest that both those areas are ‘sticky’.

EddieJoe sent the following:

http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_ ... =3&rid=164

The home site for nos is:
http://www.nos.noaa.gov/topics/navops/m ... lcome.html

PA is position approximate, meaning it is around that area, but you cannot plot it accurately. By my experience, that PA is right, could be a distance away.

Check out Sections J and K. I found it to very helpful. I did not know they had a legend for decayed and rotten seabed!
for petes sake